What Happens When You Ask Too Many Questions?

by cameo-d 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Dorothy Kilgallen was a fearless journalist who broke major stories, and was the only reporter to interview Lee Harvey Oswald's killer, Jack Ruby. Her biggest case yet -- investigating President John F. Kennedy's assassination, and finding fault with the official story -- became the last one she ever pursued. She died mysteriously in November 1965, after being threatened, but the cops never probed further.

Frank Sinatra carried on a public feud with her, cruelly deriding her in his Las Vegas act as that "chinless wonder." She responded by reminding people of his mob ties.

Over the years, Dorothy covered a series of famous murder cases, and was instrumental in helping a man accused of killing his four-month pregnant wife gain a new trial. His name was Dr. Sam Sheppard, and DNA evidence later cleared him. In 1959 and '60, she wrote anti-Castro articles, with first-hand accounts from Cuban exiles living in Miami.

In a column which appeared on July 15, 1959 Kilgallen became the first reporter to imply that the CIA was working with organized crime to knock off Fidel Castro.

On Aug. 3, 1962, Kilgallen became the first journalist to refer publicly to Marilyn Monroe's relationship with a Kennedy. Within 48 hours, Marilyn was found dead of a drug overdose at her Los Angeles residence.

Kilgallen wrote that "the real story hasn't been told, not by a long shot." Such bold reporting was not common in American journalism at that time. She could not have known that her own life would end under circumstances eerily similar to Marilyn's.

http://www.midtod.com/new/articles/7_14_07_Dorothy.html

Sometimes people ask too many questions. And when they do get the answers, then they "know too much".

Can you think of others who had such an insatiatable curiousity?

• minimus
    minimus

I don't wanna know.

• VIII
    VIII

Minimus

edited to add: he answered as I was reading--

• journey-on
    journey-on

First one that came to my mind was Martha Mitchell. Maybe I'll think of others in a minute.

• minimus
  • Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

makes me wonder about Marilynn Monroe.....

h4o

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Dubbed “the Mouth of the South”, Martha Mitchell began contacting reporters when her husband's role in the scandal became known.

“If it hadn't been for Martha Mitchell, there'd have been no Watergate.”

Martha Mitchell was one of my faves!

She had a bit of an influence on me.

Sometimes I would think "WWMD" and by golly, I did pick up that phone and make a few calls! I broke two local scandals myself.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Cameo, didn't Martha Mitchell claim that gov't agents came into her bedroom and gave her some kind of shot? They also claimed she was mentally ill....(how conveeenient). I think she later died of cancer. I'm trying to pull up old memories. I guess I could just google it.

• Pandoras cat11
    Pandoras cat11

Karen Silkwood died under strange circumtances also. She was more of a whistle blower but she did ask questions and did not like the answers and so she investigated on her own. Another recent one is Deborah Palfrey the Madam who was going to write a book and release information on the fat cats in Washington who used her "services". She was only going to do this after she was caught. Kinda like a retaliation. Don't blame her one bit. I feel she got a raw deal and her supposed suicide is a story I am not buying.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Journey on: "Cameo, didn't Martha Mitchell claim that gov't agents came into her bedroom and gave her some kind of shot? "

At one time, Martha insisted she was held against her will in a California hotel room and sedated to keep her from making her controversial phone calls to the news media.

However, because of this, she was discredited and even abandoned by most of her family, except her son Jay. Nixon aides even leaked to the press that she had a “drinking problem”. The 'Martha Mitchell effect', in which a psychiatrist mistakenly diagnoses someone's extraordinary but reasonable belief as a delusion, was later named after her.

Journey on: "I think she later died of cancer"

She died at the age of 57 of myeloma; actually it is reported that she slipped into a coma and passed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit