Further proof of the cultishness of the JW religion

by undercover 11 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

No, nothing earth shaking...

Just that there are two threads currently running...one asking the guys of JWN to post pics to make a 'hottie' calender for the girls and another asking the girls to post some pics...

How is this proof of how the Society/JWs is a cult, you ask?

This statement was posted on one of the threads:

can't see a lot posting in friends....too much of a risk...

It got me to thinking...even though many of us consider ourselves ex-JWs, no longer believing, no longer active, no longer stepping foot in hall, no longer associating with JWs other than family, it still is a risk to post your name or a photo.

The simple enjoyment of sharing real information such as a real name or a photo is dangerous to many here who, though they left of their own accord but not officially, could still be found out posting on an "apostate" board and hunted down like criminals and treated to harsh measures. These measures include announcing you as an undesirable in a public setting and being shunned by your own family and any JW contacts you may have kept.

To have to hide your identity because of the possible repurcussions shows what a cult this organization really is.

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

It's true. We try to break free, but we are still hostage to the inner demon of the JW Borg.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think people are leary in general since this is the Internet. Anything posted here is downloadable and can be used anyway anyone sees fit. Throw in the fact that a lot of people here are either still 'in' or have family that are 'in', makes for an even more wary crowd. Trust is a huge issue with a lot of JWs.

Personally, I wouldn't want to post my picture. I've had enough creepy things happen to me in the past. I don't even allow my pic to be posted at work or on our company intranet directory.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

I just dont want to be leared at by lonley older guys in bad marriages AND the reasons stated above

• undercover
    undercover

Yes, one has to be careful, just because it's the Internet. Full names and addresses and phone numbers are definitely good not to share, but I think an occasional photo would be pretty innocent. I mean how many people are on Facebook and MySpace and other message boards and post pics all the time.

Many here won't do it because of the possibility of being "found out". There's a difference between not posting a pic out of your own desire not to, it's another not to because of a fear from a force outside of our control.

I did post my pic...for about 30 minutes one day. I knew not to leave it up, so I took it off before the edit window closed.

I wondered for a few days if anyone would send me a PM, telling me they knew me or if I'd get a call from a friend or family member asking about my association on such a board, but nothing ever came of it.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

I just dont want to be leared at by lonley older guys in bad marriages

lol!

• awildflower
    awildflower

So true. I feel that way and I don't have jw friends or family! What's up with that?.......wf

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I am not shunned by my extremely large JW family because I was never baptised.

Because of this I still get the opportunity to drop a few bombshells on them and their friends.

If it came out that I posted on an Apostate website, the word would quickly go around that I was not just a harmless dropout, the invitations would cease, and I would become persona non grata despite my unbaptised status.

Cheers

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe that we should be careful not to give personal data online, regardless (for identity theft). But, to not be able to post a picture or parts of our names because Brother Hounder is watching--indicates that they are going to try to either re-recruit us or boot us out (and which one depends on how much of a supposed value we would be back in the cancer).

Additionally, quite a few are not able to post their city and state for the same reason. If you are in a city of 50,000 or more people, an identity thief would have a miserable time singling out any one of them. But Brother Hounder would know which one, out of maybe 80 publishers, is the one posting those things--it's the one that is missing all those boasting sessions, and treating them in these ways. Narrow it down to a city and state, and Brother Hounder can figure out down to one publisher who is posting.

• Pandoras cat11
    Pandoras cat11

I agree with all the above comments. It's strange that the "Elders" or Gods that be go to such extemes to hunt people down and ruin their lives. Leaving this religion or having doubts is an act of treason and punishsed by emotional death!! These hounders should work for homeland security. They have tracking devices that will never be out dated. They would be making a whole lot of more money than they are now!!! Serious!! I need more coffee!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit