just a moment to vent por favor

by homeschool 24 Replies latest jw friends

• homeschool
    homeschool

I'm having my sister over this weekend to hang out and bake (I know, I'm SUCH a party animal ). She commented that a witness (whom she thinks is encouraging) found out that we were baking & said "ooooh I wanna come too!"....so now she's coming to my house as well. She didn't ask me 1st if the chick could come over. She just assumed it was fine.I was trying to figure out why this got under my skin so bad.

I have nothing against this friend of my sisters, so I don't want to make a fuss. I think what's pissing me off is the double standard that just happened. If the exact same situation happened and I said that one of MY friends would be joining us, I'm fairly certain my sister would not come over. I'm gonna have to say something about this. Its not cool

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Why don't you just invite one of YOUR friends to come over, too? Make the point without saying a word.

• homeschool
    homeschool

I'm gonna think about that . I really like that idea....so...passive aggressive

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

And hey...it might not hurt to "ask a few questions". This will surely discourage your sister from trying this tactic again! What are ya baking?:p

• homeschool
    homeschool

LOL....Lurk3r...I'll give you one guess.

That email you sent me was so cool we're gonna try out the cupcakes that look like cheeseburgers! And we're also gonna make 'corn on the cob' cupcakes with yellow & white jelly beans & corncob pokers at each end

How'd YOUR project go?

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Ha! Perhaps I should post the link eh? http://www.flickr.com/photos/katedw/sets/72157617528706606/

Thats so awsome your gonna give it a whirl! PLease send the link to your "corn on the cob" cupcakes too...they sound really good!

I made mine and they turned out pretty good considering im not really a baker. Using the sharp knife to cut off the muffin tops was really important for a clean cut. They were really fun to make. I never used the seasame seeds either. I didn't feel they contributed anything other than an estetic appeal. Do you think they would be tasty on the cupcakes?

I will have to dig up a pic or two.

• Heaven
    Heaven

She just assumed it was fine.I was trying to figure out why this got under my skin so bad.

Probably because it shows inconsideration towards you.

You could take your sister aside and let her know that in future you would appreciate her checking with you first. To 'assume' something means making an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'!

As far as your sister is concerned you can explain to her that it's really easy to do. When the other person says "Ooo! I'd love to come!" your sister then replies, "I will check with my sister and let you know." Pretty simple. I do it all the time. I also do this when someone wishes to borrow something that I've borrowed from someone else. I explain that it's not mine and if they want to borrow it, they can ask the person directly. It is the principled thing to do.

It takes practice but to be firm but kind in explaining principles is the best route. That way, you've let your sister know you don't appreciate being walked all over. For some reason, I find family feels it's their right to treat other family like crap sometimes. That's why I let them know up front when I don't appreciate their treatment.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i agree that the best recourse is
    to educate your sibling in manners....

and those cupcakes are hilarious!
    i am betting we give 'em a whirl here too!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

We have a pool, we invite many people to come here.

Some invite themselves.

But the ones that gripe me the most are people we invite, that extend an invitation to their friends and family members to come along as well.

I get what you are saying.

• nelly136
    nelly136

you've just pulled the jw tag team pincer approach, or in other words i think your sister just called in back up. maybe you're asking too many questions ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit