The most violently insane acts in the Bible.

by sleepy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

The Bible contains accounts of some horrendously voilent happenings.
    Some more graphic then many modern films.
    This disturbs many when they first read those accounts.
    Heres one that stood out to me when I first read it.
    1 Samuel 15:33 "With that Samuel went hacking A'gag to pieces before Jehovah in Gil'gal"
    It wasn't enough just to kill him but Samuel hacked him to pieces in front of a large crowd of people.
    I wouldn't want to get into a tangle with Samuel if he got out of the wrong side of bed that morning.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'm going to rejoin the witnesses and start using biblical superlatives in every sentence...
    breasts like gazells, returning to ones puke, like pissing up a wall, etc etc etc.

• Julie
    Julie

Yes Sleepy,

You're right, there are horrifying acts in the bible. I think the OT is a sort of chronicle of one of many nomadic tribes. What seperates them from the others of their time is their claim their behavior was inspired/ordered by their exclusive god. Nasty business isn't it?

What I don't get is how anyone can read such horror and, with a straight face, say "God is love".

Julie

• sleepy
    sleepy

Heres another one.
    2 samuel 20:9,10.
    "9.And Joab proceeded to say to A.ma'sa: "Is it all right with you, my brother?"Then Jo'abs right hand took hold of A.ma'sa's beard so as to kiss him."

Ah isn't that nice.Lovely bloke that Joab.
    Oh no wait there whats this?

"10.As for A.ma'sa he was not on guard against the sword that was in Joabs hand;so that he struck him with it in the abdomen, and his intestines spilled out to the earth, and he did not have to do it to him again. So that he died."

If this was a film I wonder what rating it would have?

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Here is another huge insanity of the Bible:

http://www.geocities.com/freepeace2000/atrocity.htm

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• 607BCisAbigLIE
    607BCisAbigLIE

Yeah that's very hard to reconciliate those horror stories with a loving God, but beside the things reported in the Bible , which i suspect more and more to have been writen by man and man only, relating their history and tell here and there that they have done those horrible things in the name of God, no surpise why God is been said to have left his jewish people!!!!
    But in the meanwhile I don't think God is that cruel. But I don't believe either that God was really behind all these horrors, i just think that the Israelites have put a great effort to discredit God for being a loving and mercifull God. That's my point by now, and it can change, now that I'm outside of the organization I can think for myself and change whenever I want but will never return into that lying organization. Truth is hard to attain, but when lies come around, truth dosn't exist there anymore.

• 607BCisAbigLIE
    607BCisAbigLIE

Sleepy:

If this was a film I wonder what rating it would have?
    I think it would be: ****warning****

The story depicted in this movie are the worst violent scenes ever taken on camera. Despite good history rendering you are about to see the most realistic violent scene in movie history.

note: banned in all countries except in the New Wolrd (getting it? lol)
    PG18 [8>]

• larc
    larc

Re: violence in the OT

For those of you who haven't seen it, I just brought back to the top, a thread I started regarding the book of Joshua, called, "our sunday school lesson."

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hey Larc,
    Why would you bring back a thread that I thoroughly trashed?
    Rex

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Why would you bring back a thread that I thoroughly trashed?

With all due respect, Rex, you tend to speak in superlatives and absolutes. You did that as a JW too, except you were wrong despite your absolutes. So the fact that you think you thoroughly trashed an argument may not, you may be surprised to learn, carry much weight with the rest of us who see through your shallow, one-track thinking.

You wouldn't have believed me back when you were a JW, and you don't believe me now. But that is how you are viewed for you keep displaying shallow thought processes. If you ever learn how to think critically, you'll begin to understand why we like you as a person, but despair of your ever learning to distinguish good information from bad.

And yes, I know, you think I'm wrong and you're right. That's the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit