Exposing their duplicity

by Mickey mouse 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I thought I would have a go at writing to a journalist about the Jehovah's Witness shunning policy. I sent this to Stephen Bates, the Religious Affairs Correspondent for The Guardian (he wrote the story about the WT and the UN back in 2001).

I have no idea if it will result in anything but here it is:

Dear Mr Bates,

I am contacting you because I am aware you have written about and researched Jehovah's Witnesses previously. I am one of a growing number of Jehovah's Witnesses who wishes to leave the group after learning about the many deceptions they have been promoted and their attempts to cover up previous false prophecies and embarrassing episodes. It is at this juncture that many of us have learned the painful truth: the religion we are a part of uses strict cult like controls to prevent people from leaving or dissenting.

In a recent article in the July 2009 edition of the public monthly magazine The Awake entitled "Is it wrong to change your religion?", the Watchtower Organization stated: “No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.” (A scan of the article can be found here: http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/hopscotch_09/July09Awake001.jpg and here: http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/hopscotch_09/July09Awake002.jpg)

This public statement is quite at odds with the policies enacted towards their own members should they attempt to leave the group. This is a quote from page 133 of their 2008 publication Keep Yourselves in God's Love :

"How should we treat a disfellowshipped person? The Bible says: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man." (1 Corinthians 5:11) Regarding everyone that "does not remain in the teaching of the Christ," we read: "Never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works." (2 John 9-11) We do not have spiritual or social fellowship with disfellowshipped ones. The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, stated: "A simple 'Hello' to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshiped person?"

Is strict avoidance really necessary? Yes, for several reasons. First, it is a matter of loyalty to God and his Word. We obey Jehovah not only when it is convenient but also when doing so presents real challenges. Love for God moves us to obey all his commandments, recognizing that he is just and loving and that his laws promote the greatest good. (Isaiah 48:17; 1 John 5:3) Second, withdrawing from an unrepentant wrongdoer protects us and the rest of the congregation from spiritual and moral contamination and upholds the congregation's good name. (1 Corinthians 5:6, 7) Third, our firm stand for Bible principles may even benefit the disfellowshipped one. By supporting the decision of the judicial committee, we may touch the heart of a wrongdoer who thus far has failed to respond to the efforts of the elders to assist him. Losing precious fellowship with loved ones may help him to come "to his senses," see the seriousness of his wrong, and take steps to return to Jehovah. -Luke 15:17.

What if a relative is disfellowshipped? In such a case, the close bond between family members can pose a real test of loyalty. How should we treat a disfellowshipped relative? We cannot here cover every situation that may arise, but let us focus on two basic ones. In some instances, the disfellowshipped family member may still be living in the same home as part of the immediate household. Since his being disfellowshipped does not sever the family ties, normal day-to-day family activities and dealings may continue. Yet, by his course, the individual has chosen to break the spiritual bond between him and his believing family. So loyal family members can no longer have spiritual fellowship with him. For example, if the disfellowshipped one is present, he would not participate when the family gets together to study the Bible. However, if the disfellowshipped one is a minor child, the parents are still responsible to instruct and discipline him. Hence, loving parents may arrange to conduct a Bible study with the child.* -Proverbs 6:20-22; 29:17.

In other cases, the disfellowshipped relative may be living outside the immediate family circle and home. Although there might be a need for limited contact on some rare occasion to care for a necessary family matter, any such contact should be kept to a minimum. Loyal Christian family members do not look for excuses to have dealings with a disfellowshipped relative not living at home. Rather, loyalty to Jehovah and his organization moves. them to uphold the Scriptural arrangement of disfellowshipping. Their loyal course has the best interests of the wrongdoer at heart and may help him to benefit from the discipline received. * -Hebrews 12:11."

This shunning policy is applied not only to "sinners" as defined in 1 Cor 5:11 but also to "apostates" (which the Watchtower Society defines as anyone who leaves the teachings of said Organization.) The Watchtower Society does the very thing it purports to repudiate in the July Awake by forcing people to remain silent and continue as a Jehovah's Witness or else lose fellowship with their family and friends.
    Unfortunately many people are unaware of the duplicitous nature of the Jehovah's Witness religion and believe they are simply joining a Christian group interested in studying the bible. Once they and their family are baptised into the Organization, the shunning policy allows the Watchtower Society to hold a person hostage; family members become a useful bargaining chip. In my case I was raised in the Organization from childhood and baptised at the age of twelve. Vital information which may have made me think twice about making such a commitment was withheld from me.

This situation can be quite difficult for an outsider to understand but there are many thousands of JWs who like me wish to leave the group but cannot for fear of losing family ties. Through the Internet we have been given a platform to communicate and share information, both of which are an antidote to cult control. Many of us find support through forums such ashttp://www.jehovahs-witness.net and http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com. There are some excellent online resources disseminating information about the Jehovah's Witness religion such as http://www.jwfacts.com and http://www.freeminds.org.

I hope that you find this information useful, perhaps you could find a way to write an article about the two faces of the Watchtower Society and the silent hostages it holds?

Regards,

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Excellent letter.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Well I like it ...there's enough scandal attached to the WT for Stephen Bates to do a weekly article. Fingers crossed for a quick response!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

As blucanary already said:

Excellent letter.

Hopefully, their own words will be used against them.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Good job Mickey, the more one can expose the Wt the better!

• nelly136
    nelly136

nicely done mickey

• Jadeen
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I don't think Bates is with them any longer. I think I sent a similar letter a couple years ago only to find out he was not working there now. But then my memory is not what it used to be.

Jeff

• SnakesInTheTower
  • jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Great letter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit