What is the Witness view of seeking psychological help and medication?

by Leprechaun 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

LOL daniel-p... they are SO into those wacky alternative therapies...

I remember when my dad (he is a psychologist) totally got into hypnosis. He would try to hypnotize me- I thought it was cool because it was prohibited but it was ok for me because my dad was more of an authority to me than the JWs. Even so, mentally I fought "going under" because I thought it was a bunch of hokey.

I really don't know anything about hypnosis- whether it works or not. Anyone have any accurate info?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I had a JW family member who got addicted to antidepressents. She went to a shrink, who switched her medicine, and she went to an AA type program for a few months. She never got off a pill addiction, but did manage to switch medicines. She felt guilty about going to the AA type program. It was held in a Baptist church and they all prayed to the wrong "God" at the beginning and end of every meeting - even though it was a completely non-denominational program. So, she stopped going.

I also knew a JW who was a schizoprenic (spelling ?). He was openly on meds, and had to be placed in a half-way house becuase he couldn't life in a normal home. The brothers had to stop him from going into service because he was just too wierd to send to the public door. All the JWs just said, "Won't in be nice in Paradise when Brother Schizo is made perfect..." They pretty much accepted him, which was good...because he was WAAAAAYYYY out there. Even when he went into the hospital, the Friends still visited him.

I think going to a shrink is a "tsk, tsk" behind the scenes show of weakness (especially if its for something not well understood as an open problem...like ADHD), but I don't think anyone will overtly say much to the child.

• oompa
    oompa

The witness view is focused on the head of the JW in front of him standing in the looooonnnnnngggggg line of jw's in front of them waitin on shrinks and meds.............oompa

been there aplenty.........

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I've noticed it is "OK" to be on anti depressants or meds for anxiety, because this "world is so bad". However, the minute some really intensive therapy is mentioned, that is totally taboo. The problem is, meds don't help much with personality disorders like narcissism and borderlines, these people need therapy for coping skills to function in society. Unfortunately these untreated people are often promoted in the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit