How do you have a personal relationship with G

by Sour Grapes 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yup, it's that one way street that became apparent to me when I was a teenager and really got into prayer. It didn't work because I was trying to get someone else to solve my problems instead of pulling the strength from within myself and solving them myself (or waiting for them to naturally go away by themselves with time).

• White Dove
    White Dove

I read the Bible at least a few times over the course of almost 40 years and can say for certain that that 'R' rated bloody and violent book did nothing to give me faith in god. I found myself saying over and over again, "A loving god would NEVER do that!" and "How COULD he do that?"

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Read the bible

Yeah.. back when I was married, the way I drew close to my wife was by reading and re-reading some stories she wrote. I never actually spoke to or saw her, but I had a deep, meaningful, personal relationship with her.

- Lime

• White Dove
    White Dove

LOL, Hint Of Lime!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    as soon as a relationship becomes personal then it stops being about God

Now that's an interesting idea to ponder.

I very much doubt that ancient monotheistic Jews or early Christians would recognise their religion(s) in this modern talk of "personal relationship".

• Maddie
    Maddie

Strange as it may seem, I saw a short film in which the same question was discussed. It was said that to have a personal relationship with God, we need to be in tune with Him. It's got nothing to do with being a so-called religious person because many of these ones are probably less in tune with God than people that don't profess such religious conviction. An example of this would be to compare the Pharisees of Jesus's day to the good Samaritan.

God is Spirit so to have a personal relationship with Him our spirit has to identify with Him. I believe that this is made possible by having the Holy Spirit, available to all who accept Christ and pray for it. We can contact God only by our spirit, because God is Spirit.

John 4:24 says, "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit."

If we know how to turn to our spirit, we can contact Christ. This is the key!

Maddie

• Robdar
    Robdar

I don't believe there is a god like the Bible talks about. I believe that the divine is in everyone. There is energy in everything, so everything is divine. My opinion. I also believe in reincarnation:) I'm a polytheist and panthiest.

I agree totally and I'm a jew.

If I were to ask God for a million dollars right now, or a new car or to make me well if I were sick would He do that? How do we know that God even likes us? We say that God gives us strength.

Christ said the kingdom was within you. Start there and then see what developes.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I have a fair relationship with myself, yes.

• oompa
    oompa

amen white dove and lime..........oompa

and good thoughts sour grapes.....wish i had them when i was 10 though

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Read the bible

Reniaa

Reading The Metamorphosis gives me insight into Franz Kafka's mind, but it doesn't give me a personal relationship with him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit