What did James mean when he wrote:"Faith wothout works is dead"?

by The Berean 24 Replies latest jw friends

• The Berean
    The Berean

What are "works"?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I see lots of active 'works' by those with faith around here. Charities abound. Salvation Army. Goodwill. VFW. Kiwanis. YMCA. Boys Club. On and On.

I don't think it has a thing to do with selling Watchtowers and Awake Magazines to people just awakened from a good nights sleep on Saturday morning though.

Jeff

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

From the context of the epistle, the "works" are mostly of a moral, and especially social nature (rather than a ritual one as the other references to the opposition of "James" to "Paul" would suggest, especially in Galatians). The church should stand out against "the world" from this perspective, in its attitude toward the poor and helpless: see 1:22--2:13.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I think it's obvious.

If you have faith in a cause, you act on it.

LD

• reniaa
    reniaa

The scripture is making the point that Faith inspires works....You can say you have faith but true faith would make you follow God and want to do his will. you would hate the things God hates, love the things God loves because you have faith in him.

Reniaa

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

So that means reniaa needs to go out in service.

Oh wait she can't.

Guess her faith is dead.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here you go Berean, a nice modern and easy to understand translation

James 2:14-26 (New Century Version)

Faith and Good Works
    14 My brothers and sisters, if people say they have faith, but do nothing, their faith is worth nothing. Can faith like that save them? 15 A brother or sister in Christ might need clothes or food. 16 If you say to that person, "God be with you! I hope you stay warm and get plenty to eat," but you do not give what that person needs, your words are worth nothing. 17 In the same way, faith by itself—that does nothing—is dead.

18 Someone might say, "You have faith, but I have deeds." Show me your faith without doing anything, and I will show you my faith by what I do. 19 You believe there is one God. Good! But the demons believe that, too, and they tremble with fear.

20 You foolish person! Must you be shown that faith that does nothing is worth nothing? 21 Abraham, our ancestor, was made right with God by what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar. 22 So you see that Abraham's faith and the things he did worked together. His faith was made perfect by what he did. 23 This shows the full meaning of the Scripture that says: "Abraham believed God, and God accepted Abraham's faith, and that faith made him right with God." And Abraham was called God's friend. 24 So you see that people are made right with God by what they do, not by faith only.

25 Another example is Rahab, a prostitute, who was made right with God by something she did. She welcomed the spies into her home and helped them escape by a different road.

26 Just as a person's body that does not have a spirit is dead, so faith that does nothing is dead!

An example of "works" or "deeds" is in verse 15, giving to those in need. Jesus gives some examples here Matthew 25:35-37

James says if you have true faith then it naturally lead to works, if it does not then that faith is dead (verse 26).

Also, the faith is paramount. Some have the good works but no faith, that is no good either (verses 18 and 19)!

The works do not save, the faith in Christ does but without works then this faith isn't real. After all, Christ tells us to love our neighbor.

Hope that helps?

All the best,

Stephen

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi stephen

good example and one we agree on :)

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Faith in god = works of charity

I fail to see it as a call to place more magazines or else your faith is dead,,, you need to warn the wicked or else you'll be charged as negligent. definitely not intended in the author's intentions. So field service can't be even be included. in the works of faith. Just plain old careing for one another works of faith.

• journey-on
    journey-on

"As even the body apart from spirit is dead, thus also, the faith apart from works is dead."

Something animates or works the body. It is spirit, which is the active or positve force of life. If there is no spirit, there is no life. Faith is like the body. It is inanimate and inactive without the proper "spirit" or active works to move it along. I can say all day long that I have faith I will receive my Master's degree by the end of next year, but if I don't display the right actions toward that end (all the while maintaining faith that I can do it), it is as dead in the water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit