Walter Cronkite, RIP

by leavingwt 19 Replies latest social current

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Wow! Thanks leavingwt. I have never seen that whole film clip. I remember that day. I was in the first grade. My mother picked me up a little early. She came to the door of my classroom. My teacher said to her, "Isn't it terrible?" My mother said, "Yes, it is." That was the first I heard about it. My mother though had been at home watching "As the World Turns" on CBS. She saw all that Walter Cronkite footage live as it happened. She spoke of it often. It was one of those moments that she never forgot.

We need another Walter Cronkite.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Wow! Thanks leavingwt. I have never seen that whole film clip.

Well, I was born in '74, so this clip is my entire memory of Walter. It is usually played yearly on TV, around Nov. 22 or such.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    Well, I was born in '74, so this clip is my entire memory of Walter. It is usually played yearly on TV, around Nov. 22 or such.

He used to do those Saturday morning educational/news shorts on CBS I think. There was a spinning globe that was just a grid and a little four of five note diddy at the end. Do-do-do-doooo. Was it FYI?

Sucks that he died, he did some stuff for Discovery not too long ago.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes, I remember the Saturday morning educational shorts. I can't remember the name of it. He was pretty active until recently, still doing narration sometimes.

• watson
    watson

"You Are There."

• leavingwt
  • Yizuman
    Yizuman

I knew he was up next to die and it was a matter of time since he was suffering from a very painful chronic heart disease. To suffer this long had to be terrible. But he's suffering no more.

He'll be missed and I always enjoyed him as the anchor man, I hated his successor, Dan Rather.

There can never be one like him ever again. He was a hard act to follow.

In this day and age, journalism isn't what used to be, trashy tabloid news and yellow journalism.

Glad Walter never allowed the trash to be part of his true journalism.

Rest in Peace, Walter.

Yiz

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I grew up listening to him, When I got older, for quite some time I thought I believed what he reported because I was young and naive.

But now I know, I really could believe what he reported.

Unlike whats been said.......... there could never be another MJ, I think that's not true, there are many great talented entertainers, and has been all through time.

But an anchorman like Walter Chronkite, we don't have anyone close.

He was in our family's livingroom every night.

I know, things were just different back then!!!

The clip of JFK's death, and he mentioned about the extra police and not wanting to cause the President embarrassment as was done previously by someone from the UN that was in Dallas prior,

There was a time when we were respectful as a nation of our leaders, I remember growing up in that enviroment, respectful of our elders. We had dignity and integrity. Aso, I think the clip was cut short as I think his silence lasted for 8 secs, showing the emotion and gravity of what had just happened and how it effected him and America.

purps

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

fox news is doing a good storey on Cronkite right now its 1 am here on the canadian east coast so i dont know if evreyone will be able to catch it but its worth tell you all

• snowbird
    snowbird

Growing up, we had only one TV station, and that was an NBC affiliate, hence I never knew him.

I like what I've heard so far.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit