Imperfection isn't the problem. The problem is accountability.

by AllTimeJeff 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

A for Mary posting those quotes. They have been catalogued.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

...and for the other side of the coin... I posted this on Ronnie's board, and one of my favorite posters gave a thought of how much accountability is really something for those who only have accepted accountability for themselves, something former JW's only can do, something JW's and particularly the GB cannot do.... Here is my response, but here is some more responses to this essay... I think this an important idea to flesh out...

http://exjehovahswitnessforum.yuku.com/topic/12371

Your essay absolutely nails one of the prime issues of concern for many ex-Jehovah's Witnesses who now own that... 'I'm Seriously Disillusioned' ...t-shirt. But to become disillusioned with anything or anybody....one needs some kind of alternative standard with which to measure things.

Mick, you alien, get out of my head...

JW's often apologize for their weaknesses by using the "imperfection" card.

Ex JW's often trump this card with the "accountability" card.

It's a card game played with only two cards, one on top of the other.

It should be said that in real life (not the domain of the general JW population) that the accountability card does indeed outrank the imperfection card. Having said that, a desperate Blackjack player always hits on 18, just like JW's do. It's a neverending argument.

The curiosity to me isn't JW's. I know their game. It is the desperation by many ex JW's to hold an organization accountable that has been designed to not be accountable for anything. The whole thing is rigged.

But the attempts continue to hold them accountable, instead of trying to instill a sense of accountability in ourselves for what is left of our lives. While it is natural to want to hold those that damaged us accountable for what they did, is it possible pragmatically?

It is reminiscent of Moby Dick. The lesson learned is: Losing a limb is more desireable then losing us.

Maybe JW's have taken something we can never get back, but not all of us.

My essay wasn't written for ex JW's, but for JW's still in who are trying to figure out why viewing the religion they belong to as merely imperfect doesn't satisfy the need they have to hold the GB accountable.

The next lesson after leaving: Cutting your losses. Staying at 18.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great essay.

Bangalore

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ATJ:

I am glad this thread was resurrected.

STARTING OVER:

I am glad you brought out the fact that this UNaccountability trickles down to the average JW. That is exactly how I felt. The religion is a literal dumping ground for every sort of unaccountable person and I swear it feeds and enables an irresponsible personality that will use this as emotional blackmail with other people.

I had no tolerance for this crap.

I wondered how I was going to make a "go" of it without being damaged by the religion OR the people in it. My solution? I stayed on the fringes until my 'fade'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit