Can anyone make sense of this? I am trying a new method to circumvent Cognitive Dissonance

by BonaFide 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

This is what happened to me a few minutes ago as I came home. I live in a almost 100% JW apartment complex, so I have a lot of contacts with Witnesses every day, apart from meetings and service.

So I have been trying with a few friends to use a "third person" that doesn't exist, to try and get them to reason.

Here an example of what happened today outside my apartment:

Friend: "Hey Bonafide, what's going on? So how is your family?" (Small talk)

Me: Fine thanks

F: So, what's new, a couple of people told me they don't talk to you because you are having problems or whatever. Mind if I ask what's going on?

Me: You know, most of my friends talk to me, and a couple of them don't. I am not worried about that, I just serve Jehovah

F: What is it anyway, that they are so worried about if I may aski?

Me: Oh, they said I brought up some things at a WT study at my house awhile back. I said that we should be like the Bereans and examine the scriptures, and they said the Bereans way doesn't apply to us, we shouldn't research stuff because it's doubting Jehovah.

F: Well, I think we should research things, I mean, with the right attitude.

Me: So do I. I believe the Faithful and Discreet Slave, of course. But like I look up the quotes in the WT to see who said what, and what else they said, and a couple of my friends got mad and said never to do that. So I told them its just to get more of the quote to answer at the WT study, and they said we are not supposed to do that, that the WT is enough and we shouldn't look up those quotes, that's wrong and bad.

F: That's insane, man. But I still don't get what's the big deal.

Me: Neither do I. I like to look up the quotes and see who said what. Big deal. Oh, and they said that I have to use the Society's terms, not my own terms. Like sometimes I say "rules" but we are supposed to say "provisions" not rules. So I said its the same thing, the Society has a lot of rules, and we get in trouble if we disobey them, and they got mad at me for saying that.

F: So you don't like to say "provisions"

Me: Sometimes I use that term, but sometimes like if its a rule, then its a rule. Why not say it? But they get so mad because they said, use the Organization's terms, not the worlds. Anyway, that's why they got mad.

F: Well, sometimes as an elder I try to lighten the load by saying its a privilege to clean the Hall, and stuff like that. But maybe you could try not to make them so upset. I know you like to argue stuff, but some people are just sensitive.

Me: Yes, and I am loyal to the Organization. I have been a Witness all my life. I just like to say stuff the way it is. Like I have no problem with all the rules in the Organization, but why not call them rules?

F: Because you make people mad, bro.

Me: Ok, yea, I will be more careful. I do like to have good discussions, but to me its all positive.

F: Hey I like discussions too. Ok see you later.

This is not word-for-word, but its close. I came up here and typed just after I talked to him. So I am using a third person who really DIDN'T say EXACTLY what I say he did, TO EMPHASIZE WHAT THE SOCIETY IS DOING. I go all the way, saying "they said not to use the word rules" so that the person I am talking to DEFENDS ME!!!!

Not sure if any of this makes sense, I am still picking away at the GREAT WALL OF THE ORGANIZATION, hoping to knock it down somehow.

BF

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes, people do this with therapists all the time. We never believe it's a third party.

I try to lighten the load by saying its a privilege to clean the Hall, and stuff like that.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall!

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

I like it Bonafide!

Are you still in for family reasons??

How much longer are you planning to be an active witness?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit