Say Something Nice About Alabama ...

by snowbird 115 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mosquitoes don't bite mean people, so I think you're safe, John.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scarred, I almost missed you there. Was there anything still in bloom in April? I miss the mimosa trees, honeysuckles, gardenias, magnolias and wisteria.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird, do you remember the darker blue license tags with orange letters and the heart for Heart of Dixie from the 1960's?

Alabama is a wonderful place to be born, Sylvia. What city were you born in? Tide or Tigers?

FHN, yes, I do.

I'm from Wilcox County in the Black Belt. Camden is the county seat, but I was born way back in the sticks near Pine Barren Creek which separates Wilcox from Dallas County. I was delivered by a mid-wife, "Miss Sylvia," from whom I get my name.

I'm neither a Tide nor a Tiger, although I'm partial to Alabama because I was accepted there in 1971. I didn't get to go, however; I met the JW's and we all know where that led.

It's good having you and Robdar and Dinah on board.

Thanks.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is how my ancestors lived until the late '60's.

FHA and the 235 Program made a big difference.

Google Images rocks!

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

That was then, this is now.

Quite a difference, huh?

Sylvia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The first pic brings to mind the songs Patches by Clarence Carter and Reuben James by Kenny Rogers, Sylvia. I am glad things have improved for so many humble folks in Alabama. I must look up your county later. Your story of being born in the sticks makes me think of then and now songs about the boondocks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit