I went on another Bible study yesterday - Any suggestions on what I could have said?

by BonaFide 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I was visiting a friend that is a Witness yesterday. His mother was preparing for the bookstudy with another sister who is very new. We are on the chapter about Blood this week. I didn't feel well, so I sat on the couch nearby and listened. I tried to think of some way to make them think, but it seemed impossible. Here's what happened:

Mature sister: Well, so this week we are studying about blood. So why is blood sacred?

New sister: Because Jehovah says so, its the persons life in the blood.

M: Yes, so we must listen to Jehovah. So how many components does blood have?

N: 4

M: Yes, and then after that they separate the blood into fractions. So can a Christian accept fractions?

N: It's their conscience

M: Yes, so Jehovah is loving because he allows us to use our conscience. So what things are conscience matters?

N: The cell salvage, and the hemodilution.

M: Yes, those are complicated procedures. I had the cell saver, and it doesn't store the blood, it just circulates it back to the body.

At that point I couldn't help it, I said, "Well, remember you DID have that machine, and the blood was stored for a few hours, remember?" (This was the sister that I have mentioned in previous posts, that had the cell saver and didn't realize it was a transfusion because the Society's brochure avoids that term.)

M: Oh yes, I did have the cell saver, but it didn't store it for a long time, just for a short time, plus it was my blood.

N: Yes, when I was studying but not baptized I had surgery and the doctor lied to me and said he wouldn't give blood but when I woke up there was a blood bag, so I told them to get rid of it and they did.

M: You could have sued them for thousands of dollars.

N: Yes, those doctors don't care what Jehovah says.

M: Plus, blood transfusions often have AIDS or Hepatitis. So its wise to follow Jehovah's counsel

I jumped in there again. "Well, the possibility of getting AIDS from a blood transfusion is very remote, and Hepatitis as well. The good thing is that we accept fractions if we want to." That's all I could come up with.

They asked me to close with prayer.

I left so frustrated. I have tried to help that particular sister to reason, I have included some of those conversations on this forum, and sometimes I think I have reached her, but wow, I can see it hasn't done anything. She and the other sister used Jehovah's name interchangeably with the Society. They constantly said, "Jehovah's law on blood" and "Jehovah lets us use our conscience"

For Witnesses that read the news or do at least some research, there is a possibility of hope they will realize something. But what about those that don't like to read? That don't use a computer? That get ALL their information from the Society? This sister has a huge bookcase, gigantic, with all Society's publications, and a dictionary, that's it. No other books. She says, "Well, why would I need other books? Jehovah gives us what we need."

Oh my, my. Banging my head against the wall.

BF

• Mary
    Mary

Hey Bonafide....I know it can be frustrating, as you don't know where to start, but here's a really good thread we did a couple of years ago that might give you some hints in case the subject comes up again: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/136144/1/Question-Why-was-it-ok-to-sell-unbled-meat-to-a-foriegner-for-them-to-eat

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi BF,

Mature sister: Well, so this week we are studying about blood. So why is blood sacred?

Leviticus 17:11

Mature born again Christian:"Are you sacrificing bulls and rams over there at the "kingdom halls"?

Mature sister:"No, that is OT law"!

Mature born again Christian:"So what is atoning for your sin, mature sister"?

Mature sister:"Why, the blood of Jehovah's son of course"!

Mature born again Christian:"John 6 NIV 53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

Mature sister, have you eternal life?"

Mature sister:"Why of course"!

Mature born again Christian:"Do you eat Jesus' flesh and drink His blood every memorial or pass it on"?

Mature sister:"Of course not, that is only for 'the anointed'"

Mature born again Christian:"Are you sure? Luke 19 NIV 19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

John 14 NIV 21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

All the best, Stephen

• glenster
    glenster

If you want to know what the JWs leaders say vs. the mainstream views, not
    just the JWs leaders' stances vs. whatever the JWs leaders would let on that the
    mainstream views are, what I have is on pp.11-42 at the next link:
    http://www.freewebs.com/glenster1/gtjbrooklyn11.htm

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Thanks for comments

• inbetween
    inbetween

thats difficult, for me as well to sit at the CBS this week, and listening to the blood discussion....

but I have to remember, just not too long ago, I also took it for real, beleived everything the WTS said about it, and tried to explain the fraction/component thing not only to myself also to others....so it takes time, opnening eyes can be a long and even painful process...

• boyzone
    boyzone

You can't be on top form every day Bonafide, you tried, well done mate.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Good job BonaFide, the key is you have planted another seed.....

• bohm
    bohm

Here is a question you can ask: God forbid us to eat blood, and i will accept that transfusion is the same as eating [well, wont actually, but arguing that point is a dead-end]. But dear sister, what is our definition of blood?

Read here for qualification: http://www.jehovahs-witnesses-please-think-twice.co.uk/blood_-_jensen_letters.html

blood is an issue i am writing about at the moment, so I would be very interested in the response from an actual brainw... believing witness :-)

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

"M: Plus, blood transfusions often have AIDS or Hepatitis. So its wise to follow Jehovah's counsel"

The whole "we are correct not to take blood cause it can be dangerous" argument is complete bollocks!

Every time you get into a car & drive somewhere you run the risk of dying, and the risk is far greater than the risk of dying from a blood transfusion. Yet j-dubs drive all the time & have no problem with it. Most of them drive for ministry, meetings & conventions as well, which is a journey they wouldn't have to take were they not j-dubs. I imagine the amount of j-dubs who have ever died while driving to or from some kind of theocratic event far outnumbers the amount of people who have died as a result of blood transfusions. So that reasoning is complete shite & is totally infuriating! It is a pathetic attempt to justify something which clearly has no other justification whatsoever, least of all scriptural (not that the bible is worth reading anyway).

J-dubs are past masters at clutching at straws. Fuck them all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit