MUST SEE!!! Best Youtube Video on Theocratic Warfare that I've ever seen!!!

by Tuesday 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Tuesday and Flipper, "A Secret Book" gives the impression of the book having some sort of content that is exclusive. Yes, it contains procedural information that would not normally be in the hands of those who do not oversee such procedures. Flip, your point is exactly MY point and why I was such an unpopular elder, (with other elders). I FREQUENTLY quoted from that book to the jackasses to show that they were conducting monkey trials and kangaroo courts, to their consternation. The info was not harmful to witnesses, it was instead helpful in protecting them, for me anyway.

Was he using theocratic warfare? NO. He didn't respond that there was a secret book because HE DIDN'T THINK OF THE BOOK AS SECRET. Why cant people get that in thier head? Yes he was surprised a "worldly" person would know about it considering it is an "In house" book among witnesses. Not every witness gives a rats ass they even have it. I just think that to make it seem so sinister and a "Conspiracy" to control people is disingenuous. It is more another example of an organization that promotes classes without accepting that it does. W.Once

• runningonfaith
    runningonfaith

You guys don't understand, it's ok to lie if it helps the truth.

Wait,that doesn't sound right...anyways,my $ 0.02

I think the video brings out the frame of mind of people in a mind control cult.

Their mission in life is to proclaim the wts as THE savior.

• shamus100
    shamus100

This video was already commented on in some detail long ago.

These two were dragged into a trap and did not know exactly what that guy was asking them.

Look, out of all the videos, this one is by far the worst. It does nothing to prove that they lie - it's just two witnesses on the street talking to someone secretly videotaping them and ensnaring them.

Craig proved that there were secret books - that is all. To say that they lied is completely untrue. If you embellish facts, it makes us look like wack-jobs.

• DT
    DT

I think the video is very instructive, even though the interview could have been handled better. I think it shows how easy it is for Jehovah's Witnesses to lie. They first lie to themselves and then imagine that they are being truthful. I don't think the elder considered it to be a secret book. However, he should have at least had the humility to recognise that is exactly how most people would view it and admitted this when this was brought to his attention.

Doesn't the book in question have a complete list of disfellowshipping offenses and detailed instructions on how judicial committees should be handled? I can't see that there is any justification from keeping this from the members. I consider it to be a secret book that assists the elders in maintaining their power.

It was painful for me to realise that my mother blatantly lied to me about 1975 coming from the members instead of the leadership. I don't think it was intentional. It was easy because she had already lied to herself. It's just another sign that they are a deceptive and destructive cult that warps normal thought processes.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

W.Once,

I can see your point for yourself, where you would quote from it frequently. If I may here though going into the video:

He didn't respond that there was a secret book because HE DIDN'T THINK OF THE BOOK AS SECRET. Why cant people get that in thier head?

It's not that I can't get it through my head, I think it's because the way he reacted afterwards and the ministerial servant next to him saying "No I knew there were books I wasn't privy to." I think that if the Ministerial Servant knew about the book he would've said "No, I know all about the book it's not a secret." His response also about comparing it to a checkbook that you can't let people see it, once again that goes into how he feels the book is to be kept secret.

I'm sure you wouldn't have used an example like that if you were in a similar situation. I'm sure you would say that the book wasn't secret simply that it was only issued to Elders however the book was simply a condensement of various WT articles as quick reference. Am I correct?

I say you probably feel differently than this elder.

I just think that to make it seem so sinister and a "Conspiracy" to control people is disingenuous.

I would say it's not making it as sinister as you're saying. Propganda Techniques videos deal with showing people the various logical fallacies of propoganda JWs use. Secret books, greater knowledge as you climb the ladder of command is a cult property. I believe he's just trying to show how that would apply to the Witnesses. A much easier example of this would be the Kingdom Ministry. If you're not a Witness, you don't get it. If you attend a meeting you can be given one, but it must be returned at the end of the meeting. I thought their reaction to being confronted with not mentioning the book made it seem like they were definetly trying to hide something. Would you not say the same?

Again, I ask this is a common cause for all of us. Showing how JWs have cult properties, can you think of a better way of:

1.) Showing JWs lying to protect their religion
    2.) Showing secret books or knowledge becoming greater as you get more responsibility.

For Shamus;

The comments on the video asking why these two men agreed to an interview, he asked the JWs before rolling the camera "I'm doing a video regarding cults and their properties, Would you mind being on camera to give a Jehovah's Witness point of view." I don't think they would feel too ensnared as I'm sure they would've thought some of the questions would've dealt with cult properties. I'm shocked they even agreed to the interview.

Craig proved that there were secret books - that is all.

Which was the point of the video, secret books are a cult property.

To say that they lied is completely untrue.

I wouldn't say completely untrue, they at the least were misleading with their responses. If you want to talk semantics, you could say that they didn't lie because they didn't know it was secret but I would think anyone who was watching that would see that they got caught regarding something they didn't want to discuss and were purposely avoiding the issue.

If you embellish facts, it makes us look like wack-jobs.

I think because we're former JWs we think automatically of the excuses that would be used by JWs in this situation. To the regular person it just looks like the elder and ministerial servant were lying.

On a side note, what are the thoughts on the court room C.O. Would we agree he was lying there or would you say that he honestly had never heard of this book even though it's advertised in the Kingdom Ministry?

• Incognito
    Incognito

Many Witnesses are very much into technicalities. If the question asked doesn't conform to the language commonly used by the Society or JW's, then Witnesses often feel justified (I have witnessed various examples over the years) in 'playing dumb', evading the question or outright providing contrasting information since this is not technically lying. In this example, because the courtroom would be considered a hostile environment to this witness and a witness only needs to answer directly asked questions, he wouldn't be compelled to offer clarifying information.

I'm not familiar with the 'Custody' document discussed in the first video, but I suspect that it might be a custody brochure or other such name?? Because the lawyer asking the questions might not be familiar with WT speak, jargon or terminology, then he didn't ask the correct technical question so the Elder may have felt justified in not answering, denying knowledge of the document and otherwise not offering additional information. If the lawyer had asked about a 'Custody brochure' instead of a custody packet or book, the witness might have had to acknowledged the existence of this 'brochure' if in fact, that is how it is referred to by the Society.

Another example of technicalities in wording is the typical Witness response that JW's do not "shun" when questioned by non-JW's about shunning. Because JW's refer to the practice as "Disfellowshipping", the word shunning is foreign to them and feel truthful in their denial that they 'shun'.

The word 'Secret' in this case has somewhat of a double meaning. Although I might know that the book exists, the existence of the book is not a secret but because I'm not permitted to view the contents of the book as the Elders consider it to be 'confidential' information, the contents contained therein is a secret to me.

In a religion that promotes itself as treating all members on an equal basis as 'brothers', should not all brothers have equal information available to them? This book, as Wasanelder Once pointed out, is an instruction manual. I can understand not providing copies to all members of the congregation, but I DO believe that a copy should be included in every K-H library as reference material, freely accessible to any congregation member wishing to review it.

As already stated, the fact that there are only certain people allowed access to this book, is clearly a means of information control. Where is the Biblical example that justifies this practice? What procedural information needs to be withheld from r&f members of GOD'S supposed true organization especially when God already provided an instruction manual freely available to all who want to read and follow it- the Bible?

Wasanelder Once said:

Does the fact that some, if not most elders, do not take the time to read and apply what it says make it the source of some secret plot to set people up?

Don't forget, these Elders view the W/T as God's truly chosen Organization and JW's as God's people. Information provided by the W/T Organization is viewed as coming from God himself. Elders are considered to be directly appointed by God. As such, all Elders entrusted with participation in a Judicial Committee, have a serious responsibility as Sheppard's of God's Flock and Judges over the worthiness and repentance of others. These Elders need to be intimately familiar with all policies, procedures and guidelines related to that responsibility and be prepared to apply and live by those policies. Anything less would be shirking their responsibilities and doing a disservice to the Congregation and to God.

mraimondi said:

... although those notes could be personal, and it would make sense if they shouldnt be read.

I understand that the margin note information, is supplementary and updated information provided by the W/T Org. verbally at the Elders School or Meetings. The notes are hand written by each individual Elder. Again, what information in an instruction manual would be personal, confidential or otherwise shouldn't be read by others?

Since the margin note info is supplementary information to an instruction manual, shouldn't the pages be able to be updated (ie: binder form) and the information be provided in printed format directly from the Society? I was lead to believe that all JW teachings are consistent and uniform throughout the earth. If information is not provided equally for all Elder books in circulation, how can new Elders have the same information as long term Elders? How can this instruction manual be followed and applied consistently by Elders at any given time when the books may not be updated consistently? Interpretation of the verbal informantion provided, could also be understood or written inconsistantly from Elder to Elder.

mraimondi said:

the pioneer book was supposed to be a "privelege" to those who pioneer, we were told not to lend it out, but that we should show others in order to encourage them to do the same.

I'm not saying that you or the people within your Cong treated it this way, but some could interpret this not as encouragement, but a flaunting of 'I'm privileged and have something you don't have. If you don't Pioneer, you're not good enough to have one'.

mraimondi said:

Again, my experience seems to be quite different than the people here.

You were 'fortunate' that your experience was positive. Too bad what you experienced is the exception and not the rule. It would be easy for both extremes to criticize and discard the experiences of the other only because the other experience was a direct contrast to their own.

I think many of us see differences in Elder Bodies from Congregation to Congregation and from Elder to Elder. Some Elders display the best of intensions and genuinely only desire to help others, while too many like the power and prestige the position offers and use it to their own advantage. Some Elders have stronger leadership qualities while others prefer to follow along. Often, the entire 'atmosphere' of the Elder body is determined by one or two stronger personality types while others follow their lead and try not to make waves.

Perhaps in your case, the Elders with the best intensions had a strong influence over the remaining Elders in the body. Perhaps in many other congregations, the oposite is true.

• yknot
    yknot

Cognac....

http://www.watchtower.cc/childcustody.pdf

My ""understanding"" is that the booklet is not an official WTS publication but rather the independent compilation of Carolyn Wah (and Friends) that the WTS just happens to endorse. (and probably printed)

Beyond that ..... I can cast no stones .... I still suffer from "automatic strategy syndrome" (A.S.S.) especially when speaking to Elders weekly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit