Why do the JW's say miracles are from Beelzebub

by androb31 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

It amazes me that when you read the Gospels and see Jesus performing healing miracle after healing miracle, and then you see him giving authority to his followers to do the same, and then you see the Holy Spirit enabling the healing miracles to continue, that Jehovah's Witnesses say that nowadays, when healing miracles occur, it's due to the devil.

Didn't Jesus warn the Pharisees against blaspheming against the Holy Spirit?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi PP,

A certain regular poster will likely quote this

Matthew 7:22-23 (New International Version)

22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

The truth is there are counterfeit faith healers, prophets, workers of miracles and such out there and they are on the increase. However, the body of Christ is going to release more and more that all the gifts of the Spirit are for today and get using them. All the best, Stephen

• Mary
    Mary

I find it quite interesting that the WTB&TS accuse modern day healers as getting their power from Satan, just as the Pharisees accused Jesus:

rs p. 160 Healing: "...Aslongasapersonishealed,isitreallyimportanthowitisdone?2 Thess. 2:9, 10: "The lawless one’s presence is according to the operation of Satan with every powerful work ["all kinds of miracles," JB] and lying signs and portents and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth that they might be saved..."

ol part 7 p. 24 par. 10 Who Practice the True Religion ? Members of these religions claim that miracles prove that their religion is blessed by God. But so-called miracles do not prove that a religion has Jehovah’s approval. Satan empowers some false worshipers to perform ‘powerful works.’

(Mark 3:22-26) . . .Also, the scribes that came down from Jerusalem were saying: "He has Be·el´ze·bub, and he expels the demons by means of the ruler of the demons." 23 So, after calling them to him, he began to say to them with illustrations: "How can Satan expel Satan? 24 Why, if a kingdom becomes divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand; 25 and if a house becomes divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 Also, if Satan has risen up against himself and become divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end.

(Matthew 9:32-34) . . .Now when they were leaving, look! people brought him a dumb man possessed of a demon; 33 and after the demon had been expelled the dumb man spoke. Well, the crowds felt amazement and said: "Never was anything like this seen in Israel." 34 But the Pharisees began to say: "It is by the ruler of the demons that he expels the demons."

(Luke 11:14-15) . . .Later he was expelling a dumb demon. After the demon came out, the dumb man spoke. And the crowds marveled. 15 But certain ones of them said: "He expels the demons by means of Be·el´ze·bub the ruler of the demons. . .

• donuthole
    donuthole

@androb31

Yeah that was my experience. I was actually assigned a number 4 talk on the Holy Spirit shortly before my being DF'd. At the time I was really looking at the Bible with fresh eyes and it impacted me how little I knew about the Holy Spirit. What did we really know? When someone was sick or going through a trial we might pray for an "extra portion of the Holy Spirit" go to them -- but really what did we expect it to do? -- maybe give them strength to endure or something? After leaving the WT religion I learned more about the Holy Spirit. Not necessarily through study but through different experiences and such.

@chalam

I was looking at that verse you put from Matthew. I'm not going to argue that there aren't counterfeit miracles and also deceiving spirits. It does seem though that this verse is talking more about the character of the individual and not the legitimacy of the work done in Jesus' name. If a wicked man uses the name of Jesus to cast out a demon, well I think that speaks more for the power of Jesus' name than the quality of the individual using it. Another thing that comes into play here is the faith of the individual receiving the miracle. Their heart may be in a good place while the one "working" the miracle might be full of deceipt and wickedness.

• androb31
    androb31

I received a miraculous deliverance myself upon my exit from the WT to Christ. I struggled through a good portion of my adult life with over consumption of alcohol, even as a very active dub. As did/do a large number of "responsible" brothers I know. I did everything I could from prayer to going to the elders to counseling to you name it with only minimal short lived success. I surrendered to Christ and asked for deliverence from this problem and within days it was gone. I haven't looked back since. For a person to give credit to the Devil for that is a slap in the face of God.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi donuthole,

Great post! Your story sounds interesting.

If a wicked man uses the name of Jesus to cast out a demon, well I think that speaks more for the power of Jesus' name than the quality of the individual using it.

I couldn't agree more.

All the best,

Stephe

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi androb,

Sounds like another interesting story. Look forward to the full thing :)

I did everything I could from prayer to going to the elders to counseling to you name it with only minimal short lived success. I surrendered to Christ and asked for deliverence from this problem and within days it was gone.

Just like the bible says He does :)

Romans 8:2 (New International Version)

2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

All the best,

Stephen

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected
    Members of these religions claim that miracles prove that their religion is blessed by God. But so-called miracles do not prove that a religion has Jehovah’s approval.

Strawman.

• androb31
    androb31

I'd have to say the most amazing, heart wrenching miracles I've witnessed, although I've seen major debilitating diseases healed, is the power of the Holy Spirit overcoming someone in the pits of despair (so called castaways of society, drunks, homeless, depressed, suicidal, or just average folks etc..). When you're preaching the actual gospel of reconciliation, the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (the power of God to salvation) and you pray someone through repentance and acceptance of Christ as Lord and see them transformed right before your eyes by the Holy Spirit, never to return to a debauched, hopeless lifestyle, there are no words to describe that. That's the true power of the Gospel unadulterated.

As Chalam pointed out:

Romans 8:2 (New International Version)

2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

I pray that some day all JW's will get to witness the real working of the Holy Spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit