did you find JW's expected products/services for free from other JW's?

by highdose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

just wondering if i'm the only one whose experianced this?

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

There was a brother in one of the local congregations who did beautiful woodworking and made beautiful cabinets, hutches, etc. An elder and his wife in his congregation thought he should make some things for them for free.

My husband (never a JW) and I made the mistake once of renting a house to a JW. Once she was moved in, there were all kinds of things she decided the house needed and that we needed to spend money on including a bathroom remodel. At the same time, her JW friends tore up the yard driving in it and tore up a door. We finally had to invite her to find other lodging.

My own brother has been expected to work on cars for congregation members for free. He works shiftwork and would be expected to spend time he should be sleeping doing for other people. His wife was a part of that. She was always volunteering his labor.

I think there is very much an expectation among JW's that others in the congregation can do for them.

• highdose
    highdose

thanks

as a self employed person, i often found that jw's would expect me to provide my service for free out of "christain love". Even though it meant alot of financal outlay on my part.

i remember one family who agreed how much they would pay me and when afterwards i presented them with the bill were furious!

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Sounds like a typical JW experience. They are very much like that. I am so glad I am out of that organization!

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Yes they want work done for free, but when it is come to these same people doing things for others then they want to be paid top wage. I could never make sense of the lack of love.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

side question for verystudpi77- how did you come up with the name 'verystupid'? From your comments on the board you are anything but stupid. I like your input.

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Thanks isaacaustin, I have just always felt so put down in the "truth" never felt good enough, could never make any friends. Never no matter how hard I tried. Elders do not even get me started. I always put my self down for that. Blamed myself. I have even been married to an elder myself for 22 years and still the other elders avoid me like the plague. Funny they will come to my home for dinner and when we invite them out to eat and we pay or out to the lake ect but never would they even consider letting me step foot in their homes. I just feel stupid so much of the time. It is like I am not good enough for them. And that is how I came up with the name. All of this is just so hurtful and verystupid

• undercover
    undercover

Some JWs expected discounts/freebies, but not all.

I did know some that dealt only with fellow dubs when they needed service work done. It worked out fine with a lot of the talented and skilled JW tradesmen that I knew.

But there were some who were not so skilled. And there were those that were not honest. I swear some of them took advantage of a lot of dubs because most dubs didn't blink at hiring them. It was a free ride for some of these guys who wouldn't have made it otherwise.

But then there were some dubs who expected freebies and extra service, just because. They felt some entitlement to extra service or product because they were all dubs.

I knew a brother who owned a car repair shop. He bought wrecked and repo'd cars from insurance companies and auctions, repaired them and sold them. Now, the majority of these cars were wrecked...bad. He would straighten the frame or uni-body, replace parts, get the thing running and do the body work. It would look good enough, ran good enough but it was still a wrecked car. The friends would buy their cars from him because they were cheaper than buying a non-wrecked car. He sold them 'as-is', no warranty and most with salvage titles, meaning that it's disclosed that the car had been wrecked and isn't worth retail. Later some of them would come back to him complaining about everything from little squeeks to transmissions failing. Some of them got right rude about it and claimed that he was taking advantage of them. I remember people trying to complain about it to me and all I would say was, "well, it was wrecked...whaddayawant?" They learned to not come to me to give them support. He finally got to where he wouldn't sell to most dubs because he couldn't get them to understand that they were buying a salvaged, rebuilt car. There were no guarantees that the car would be a good car.

I heard enough about deals going bad in several areas of JW provided services that I rarely used JWs for work that I needed. I preferred to hire someone I didn't know in case there were problems. It's harder to argue with a 'brother' over shoddy work or faulty products than a company representative that you have no association with outside of the service they perform.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

hi 'very'...I understand. It is all part of the WT agenda...to put the members down. It is not 'grace'- which focuses on the beauty of what Jesus did for man but rather 'underserved kindness' with the emphasis on 'you do not deserve it'...thus the guilting ....and the making of members dependent on them for salvation. As I am sure you also have observed, if you do not fit into the 'castes' you are pretty much ignored or thrown aside.

Nice to have you here. :)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

...but you are worth it 'very'...those who act this way are simply on a powertrip- a false one- by a mind control cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit