Jesse Jackson comments on MJ funeral

by frozen one 17 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 3/97 p. 7 Question Box ***

What if the deceased was disfellowshipped?The congregation would generally not be involved. The Kingdom Hall would not be used. If the person had been giving evidence of repentance and manifesting a desire to be reinstated, a brother’s conscience might allow him to give a Bible talk at the funeral home or graveside, to give a witness to unbelievers and to comfort the relatives. Before making this decision, however, it would be wise for the brother to consult with the body of elders and give consideration to what they may recommend. In situations where it would not be wise for that brother to be involved, it may be appropriate for a brother whoisamemberofthedeceasedperson’sfamily to give a talk to console the relatives.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

That's very interesting, purplesofa.

I know I have a cousin that committed suicide. He was raised from age 1-18 as a JW. I think he was baptized. He committed suicide in his early 30s. He did not receive a JW funeral but that was probably because his father did not want him to have one. His father was never a JW.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Maybe this explains why my uncle spoke up at my mother's totally non-religious memorial gathering and started spouting off about his hope of seeing Millie again on this earth. Most people there had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. He sounded like a drunken idiot. My mother was a baptized and devout JW back in the day. Even though she hadn't stepped foot in a Kingdom Hall in over 30 years, he felt the need to address the group with the JW crap. He got a killer glare from me and shut up pretty quickly.

• flipper
    flipper

Well- Doesn't this just go to figure ? I mean I'm sure the Jackson family via the mother is probably a huge financial contributor to the WT society and donates thousands if not millions $$$$$$ each year - so of course, why wouldn't MJ get a private JW memorial with all the trappings ? If it was a normal Joe or Mary Blo who had dissassociated themselves - the elders would say " Sorry - no JW memorial your dissassociated ! " Money does strange things to people - including the WT society

• Waffles
    Waffles

LOL that would be such a fitting irony.

• DJK
    DJK

I just read a private service was held. It lasted 30 minutes. Just about right for JWs.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sounds like I should make a new will.

I don't want JW doctrine being spouted within 200m of my funeral, even if that means my family want to stay home.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

JJ's comments about JW's may be just enough for a large number of people to hit Google and find out about JW's. ONe has to wonder if the WTBTS will enjoy the focus they may be about to get.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit