The Missing Issues of the Herald of the Morning Magazine 1877-1878

by cabasilas 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I found a couple more references to issues of the Herald of the Morning during this period. (I document this because I've heard some people say that nothing was actually published by Barbour during this time.)

At this compilation of writings by George Storrs are some references to the Herald of the Morning. The October, 1877 issue of The Bible Examiner (edited by Storrs) refers to this request from Russell in a recent (between July and October) Herald of the Morning:

My "criticism" on the above named work, in the July EXAMINER, has called forth a reply by my esteemed Bro. CHARLES T. RUSSELL, in the "Herald of the Morning."

And this article, reproduced from The Bible Examiner, replies to the November 1, 1877 issue of The Herald of the Morning:

THE "HERALD OF THE MORNING."

BIBLE EXAMINER

New York, December, 1877

The above named paper, published by Dr. Barbour, contains much interesting matter. I have only dissented to his position on the definite time of the second Advent of our Lord Jesus Christ. I have said, its "chronology is the best I have ever seen;" but I must add, clear as Dr. Barbour has seemed to make it, I do not accept it as infallible, and therefore cannot be admitted as positively correct. I have seen, in the past forty years, so much of this positive spirit, on points advocated with much plausibility, that I cannot accept the position of Dr. Barbour as to the definite time for which he contends.

He has, as he thinks, often explained such texts as the following so as to justify him in his position on definite time, viz., "of that day and hour knoweth no man," --"Take ye heed, watch and pray; for ye know not when the time is." "Watch for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come:"--"for in such an hour as think not the Son of man cometh." These and other like texts by our Lord, our friend Barbour endeavors to show do not mean exactly what they express.

In his paper of Nov. 1st, he makes a new effort in the same work, He maintains that we are now in the time of the harvest, and he says:

"When the time of the harvest begins, somebody will know and understand the situation, and that it has now begun, is what we claim to be able to substantiate by clear scriptural arguments."

This harvest began, if I understand him, in the fall of A.D. 1874, and is to end April A.D. 1878, being three and half years in duration. He says of the texts I have quoted above, and the like, "Those texts do not teach anything opposed to our knowing the exact day, and hour of either of these events." That is the "exact day and hour" of the harvest's commencing and of Christ's second advent. Here is a positiveness that I object to: it amounts to a claim of infallibility that I conceive to be a hazardous position for any finite mortal to take and may prove disastrous to himself and to those who accept the position. I do not question the sincerity of honesty of my friend B.; but I do claim he has no right to insist on any man's receiving what he says as infallibly true. If he had presented his position as a probable truth, and invited investigation of the subject, there would be no cause of complaint; but he tells us that "many who say Lord, Lord, love to thus misconstrue these texts," viz., those I have introduced from the mouth of Jesus. He says,

"I have answered this whole class of objections until I am almost ashamed of the repetition, but must do so once more, for the especial benefit of the readers of the Bible Examiner."

Now, let us see what a "special benefit the readers of the BIBLE EXAMINER" get. He illustrates for their benefit as follows:

"The government of the United States, as war with a neighboring power, was preparing to destroy a fort of the enemy. In and around this fort was the home of many families, and, desiring to spare their lives, issued a proclamation: This fort is to be destroyed, and all within the exposed limits must prepare to vacate their homes. When the work of excavation is well advanced, notice will be given by a white flag. As the time approaches, a red flag will be raised. When all is ready, a black flag will appear; then let every family be prepared to flee for their lives, for on that day the explosion will take place. Watch, therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour. Watch, for in such an hour as ye think not, the explosion will take place; and as a last warning, the herald is again sent with the following: "If, therefore, thou shalt not watch, it shall come upon you as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour the explosion will occur." Re 3:3.

I thank my friend Barbour for his illustration, and I presume "the readers of the EXAMINER" will receive a "special benefit" from it; for it shows conclusively that the day of the explosion cannot be known till the day itself arrives; but there are "signs" preceding the day which show the day is approaching: and as one sign after another appears it is manifest the event is nearing; but not one soul knows beforehand "the exact day." So our friend's illustration proves that it is the signs which are to guide us to a true conclusion.

Therefore, I say to all, watch for the "signs of the times;" by these you are to be guided; and not assume you are to know "the exact day or time" till the day arrives; and because you will be ignorant of the exact day, till it opens, "watch and pray" that you may "be ready, for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh" Mt 24:44. If you think you have the knowledge of "the exact day or hour" you will be sure to meet a disappointment, as all have done hitherto who have fixed on the exact time. Friend Barbour knows that has been his experience in times past more than once. There is not an unkind feeling in my heart toward this brother or his co-workers; but faithfulness to those whom God has providentially led me to minister to compels me to speak as I understand His word: but I exercise no authority over them. I know by what I have seen and felt the fatal consequences of disappointment in so vital a matter as the exact time of our Lord's return.

That we are drawing near that day, I have not had a doubt, that I am aware of, for thirty years or more; and the signs our Lord gave of its nearness are thickening continually; especially those our Redeemer spake of in Lu 21:25-26. "Up on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity . . . men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth; for the powers of heaven shall be shaken;" i.e., human governments; these are to be overthrown to prepare the way for the universal reign of Christ and his elect body. This view of the signs of the passing events gives us a solid foundation on which to stand to know that "Your redemption draweth nigh." Lu 21:28.

I have said thus much from a sense of obligation to God, and to the readers of "the BIBLE EXAMINER." it is not the knowledge of the "exact day or hour" of the second Advent, that will fit any man or woman to meet the Lord; and that person who would not be prepared without such knowledge, I fear, will not be prepared at all, and will be likely to meet a sad disappointment if the "exact time fails" as most likely it will, as all set times have hitherto done to the injury of many persons and families. The effort to fix on the "exact time," I consider as tempting God; though done by misapprehension.

I'd love to read Barbour's original article from the November 1, 1877 issue of Herald of the Morning that Storrs was here replying to. I also wonder what else C.T. Russell wrote for the Herald during this period? One wonders what other interesting articles are in those issues?

• RR
    RR

Okay, make ALL donations to the "Worldwide work of RR"

Now would I do that? Okay, found a disk that contains THE HERALD of the MORNING coveringe June 1875 through July 1880 (inconclusive), meaning there are missing issues. I THINK ... I may have another disk with some of the missing issues on the first disk, we'll see if I can find them. These are pdf's made directly from Microfilm found at a certain Adventist University.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Wow!!! What a find!!! The issues after June, 1879 would also be interesting to read. As I recall from reading some issues of Herald of the Morning in the old Gilead library, Barbour would argue with Paton and Russell after they broke fellowship with him.

• RR
  • cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks, RR, for these scans. Previously, only text versions were available for the 1875 and 1876 issues. The July, 1880 issue of Herald of the Morning has not been available before (as far as I know). In that issue (on page 334 of the PDF), Barbour states he has rejected the 1874 return of Christ. Instead he is proposing the autumn of 1881 instead.

If you find the other CD with some of the missing issues, that be great too! Thanks again!

• RR
    RR

I just sent this file to a few people, didn't know how much they were in need. You'd think they found the holy grail the way they were thanking me. LOL

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

The July 1880 issue in the PDF you uploaded mentions a double issue of the Herald of the Morning (Vol. 6, number 6) "containing the Bible chronology and time arguments of the 'Midnight Cry' ending in 1878." (Page 330 of PDF) If I'm counting right, I think that'd be the December, 1877 issue. (At that time the issues started with July.) That would be another very interesting issue to find someday.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

For future readers of this thread who might have access to some of the still missing issues:

The August 1, 1877, November 1, 1877, June 15, 1878 issues of The Herald of the Morning are referenced by Peters and Storrs in their writings. They no doubt still exist somewhere and hopefully will be found someday.

Interestingly, judging by these publication dates, it appears that the Herald was being published twice a month during this period (1877-1878). If all these issues ever turn up, that'd be a tremendous amount of information for researchers to sift through.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Good ones, is good to have the history of WT

• yknot
    yknot

Thank yall so much!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit