Portuguese get jipped

by JWinprotest 21 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

cattails you have a pm

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Not sure how wide spread it was but at least in southern Ontario, in the mid 90's all the portuguese congregations were shut down. All the brothers and sisters were told to attend the english congregation in their territory. I remember because several were sent to my congregation. Many of them didn't speak a stitch of english. They would just sit there at the meetings with this blank look on their face nodding along at what the brother on the platform was saying, wondering what the portuguese had done to be punished by Jehovah.

Then a few years later the society noticed a lot of the portuguese brothers were pissed off and leaving "the truth", so they reinstated a few of the congregations but not all. When many of the ones that left never came back, rumors started circulating that this was Jehovah's way of cleansing the Portuguese congregations and rid them of the unfaithfuls. Unfortunately for them however, many, especially the younger ones remained in the english and now they are left with an aging, dwindling group, who would never complain no matter what you take away from them, or ask them to do.

Sorry if you were looking for more cattails, but I don't know many of the facts myself, I'm just going by how I saw it.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

I forgot to ask.....I'm new here, what is a PM?

• cattails
    cattails

Hey JWip.

Thanks for the info on what

happened to the Portuguese

groups. A PM is a private message

Take a look at the upper right

corner of this website when

logged in you'll find if you

click the little envelope you'll

either get an error message

or it will give you your private

messages people sent you.

Half the time I need to click

on it several times before

it finally gives the messages

on screen... I think this is a

special feature of the website

to test and see if you really

really really want your

messages or not.

:)

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

The only good thing that came out of eliminating the Portuguese congregations was that I met my husband. Even though he is portuguese, he would have attended an english congregation.

I never understood that BS, I asked my mom a couple of times, but what did she know. They don't tell the dubs shit. The rumour I heard was that the Circuit Overseer at the time had made that decision, though that seems unlikely.

I guess the Portuguese are the ginea pigs of the watchtower, the Portuguese are a bunch of pushovers for sure. But this particular change is a bonus, I know I would be secretly delighted, only 2 days and I can still make jehoba happy.

The portuguese congregations in Toronto are mostly old folk, I never went back to the portuguese, nor did my sister or the other younger people we knew. Maybe the portuguese congos will fade in time.

One thing that ticked me no end was that my mom spent 2 decades in canada and never bothered to learn a word of english. With 3 kids she could not help with homework or search for resources for whatever we may have needed. But have the GB tell her to go to the english congo and she starts studying english night and day. Still today even though she belongs to the portuguese she always studies the watchtower in both languages.

Lily

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome, JWinprotest!

A 'PM' is a Personal Message. You can access them by clicking on the envelope beside your user name at the very top left hand side of the page. You may need to do a 'refresh' to view the actual message once you've clicked on it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

As for the 'Portuguese getting jipped' I think that this born in the USA cult has a very 'white' interior and that certain cultures are not deemed as important as others. Money may also be a factor.

I remember being in Streetsville, Ontario a few years back doing some shopping and a little old Portuguese lady came into the shop I was in with the JW magazines. She couldn't speak a stitch of English and I wondered why they would send her out on service when she was unable to engage anyone in conversation? I thought this somewhat bizarre. The shop owner told me after she left that he just throws them in the garbage. I felt sorry for this woman.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Thank you cattails on the PM

Not sure if they will fade the port congs anytime soon, but at the very least I think they are looking to eliminate their assemblies and conventions. I think this year was a test to see how many would attend an english assembly instead. In fact I know many who have done just that......idiots. My mother-in law said she would ask her CO as to why they cut back, I will update you with his response.

BTW lilyflor that's how I met my wife as well....maybe holy spirit was directing it....lol!!

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Sorry Heaven I was posting while you sent yours, thanks for the tip as well.

• Altar ego
    Altar ego

The only good thing that came out of eliminating the Portuguese congregations was that I met my wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit