Mag Rumor: Desperate Measures

by metatron 18 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Rumor: they are going to eliminate personal magazine orders and just hand out enough for a week. Then, you go back next week for more.

Supposedly to be tested in NY and Conn.

They must be getting desperate ($)

metatron

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Havent they been doing this for awhile now? No more deliveries in mail and you pick up whatever you need at the hall?

• metatron
    metatron

Not exactly. This is presented differently. Instead of ordering 5 of each magazine for yourself, you are told to only take what you need that week.

They may eliminate personal magazine orders entirely and just have a set shipment of magazines per congregation. If you don't get there in time, they may be all gone.

metatron

• Heaven
    Heaven

They've already asked my father if he wants to cut back on his magazine quantities. He isn't placing very many anymore so that could be why. However, I can't imagine that the WTS is not hurting due to the declining membership and the bad economy.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Maybe they will go to a pdf download from the WT website next for some of the periodicals like the Kingdom Ministry or the Kool-Aid edition of the Watchtower. That will cut back on distribution fees a great deal. The local congo can have a sign on and can print them up and hand them out. That way the cost is on them.

BTS

• loosie
    loosie

Dang it there goes my free toliet paper.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Instead of ordering 5 of each magazine for yourself, you are told to only take what you need that week.

This makes sense, independently of whether or not it's a decision based on the current economic climate. From my experience, there were always a hand full of barely-active witnesses who would pick up a month of back magazines, or more. They were rarely seen at meetings and even less in service, so the odds that they were actually placing those magazines was low. I, myself, began to acquire a pretty large reserve of old magazines when I started to become irregular in field service. I usually dumped them off on whoever was auxiliary pioneering that month.

Handing out the magazines on a first-come-first-served basis is likely to result in a lot less waste. The inactive and barely-active folks would never cut down their magazine order. It would be interpreted as an acceptance of less than wholehearted service on their part. The profits from literature placement probably pale in comparison with the profits from the WT's vast real estate holdings. I think the day is coming when JWs ditch magazine/book placement with the public in favor of tracts and kingdom-news type propaganda.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Don't worry everyone, I'll still manage to land plenty of litteratrash in the garbage... every week!

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Actually, this is what I initiated a few years ago as service overseer. I felt that people should be responsible for their own ministry and so I told the servants to forgo keeping track of counts and instead we'd just make an announcement that they'd arrived at the service meeting and hand out what they asked for when they showed up.

"Ok, how many of each?" would be what you'd have heard and that was that.

We dramatically cut our orders.

I would larger orders for magazines I knew people would feel good about (but that didn't happen very often).

Later the CO made a big deal about the drop in magazine placements and I told him that we were working with the friends to make them more personally responsible instead of taking a parochial view of them and coddling them through incessant reminders and wheedlings.

He sort of bought that. (of course I DID believe it was the right thing)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

This is what they should have done for many years. No one needs the same number of mags each couple weeks unless they're a pioneer. Idiot practice designed by bumbling morons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit