A "My Book of Bible Stories" tale that I've always hated

by JimmyPage 72 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

36 "My father," she replied, "you have given your word to the LORD. Do to me just as you promised, now that the LORD has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. 37 But grant me this one request," she said. "Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry."

38 "You may go," he said. And he let her go for two months. She and the girls went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.

She requested two months to lament the fact that she would never marry; I would think the fact that she would be killed would be more upsetting!

Perhaps I'm missing something ...

John Doe, as an aspiring lawyer, I would think you would take all factors into consideration before reaching a conclusion. Have you?

Sylvia

Sylvia

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think your all missing the point of the story... He made a vow to kill whoever came out first... He gets home there are two people there. The wife and the daughter... He's sad because the daughter came out!?

So he WANTED to kill his wife? Now that is a funny ass story!

PS shamus that picture was frikin AWESOME!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Oh and by the way I threw all the bible stories books in the trash when my kids were born and I have forbidden any of my witness relatives from letting my children look at it. That is the ultimate children's book of fail. Whoever's idea that was needs a swift kick or two in the nuts.

• Beta Male
  • John Doe
    John Doe

Snowbird, you didn't answer my question.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The core of Deuteronomy reflects Josiah's reform in the late 7th century BC. The Torah as a whole is even later.

Ahem. If you are going to challenge the weltanschauung of me and my heritage, ami, then you must pony up some hard proof. The gossamer threads of textual criticism aren't going to cut it for me. To echo lady Snowbird, I give the Scripture the benefit of the doubt. These reconstructions of past realities wouldn't pass muster in a court of law in my own country. The accused would walk free, evidence not being beyond doubt. Now I am challenging your worldview regarding the Josiah thing.

:-)

BTS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

BTS,

I suggest you read a recent, scholarly, Catholic introduction to the Pentateuch so that you feel more secure in your Weltanschauung. Even the short one in the Jerusalem Bible will do (if it is anything like the French 1998 edition, with nihil obstat, imprimi potest, imprimatur). :)

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

@Beta Male: Thanks for posting that video

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I love them all. They are fantastic

Uh oh. Looks like a JW stumbled in here by mistake. Er, I mean welcome!!

• Badger
    Badger

Abraham and Issac. Abe loved God so much he was ready to off his kid. And I knew, as my Dad read to me, that it was the same situation in that house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit