What would Christianity look like without Paul's writings?

by AK - Jeff 107 Replies latest jw friends

• reniaa
    reniaa

Pistoff I'll answer you with one scripture.

Acts 2:32-33 (New International Version)

32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

talking about receiving the holy spirit for them to use, if you believe in Jesus you must also trust that Paul and the other writers in the gospels got holy spirit to guide them on the right course.

Reniaa

• awildflower
    awildflower

You DON'T have to believe that if you believe in Jesus. You would have to question here what is the Holy Spirit, how does it operate etc....We have to open our minds waaaaaaay open to truly 'get' Jesus words of awareness. It doesn't fit in this little WT box.....wf

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Though there are those who claim to have witnessed Jesus' ascension - how can the latter part of that verse be called 'facts'? Luke - or whomever wrote this account, was not in heaven to see what went on from there. How can anyone be certain that HS was poured out and doing the work to which he attributes these things?

Acts was written sometime between 60 and 100 CE. Why did this author wait so long to write it? If I saw the aftermath work of the early church of the Living Saviour, I would have started writing it down right away. Wouldn't you?

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Though there are those who claim to have witnessed Jesus' ascension - how can the latter part of that verse be called 'facts'? Luke - or whomever wrote this account, was not in heaven to see what went on from there. How can anyone be certain that HS was poured out and doing the work to which he attributes these things?

If you see a dude miraculously raise the dead, walk on water, resurrect himself, and go floating up into the sky, would you not believe what he tells you is going to happen when he gets to his destination?

At this point, let's beg the question. If you can't be certain of those things you didn't see, you can't be certain of almost anything.

BTS

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If you see a dude miraculously raise the dead, walk on water, resurrect himself, and go floating up into the sky, would you not believe what he tells you is going to happen when he gets to his destination?

Likely just details of a legend - after all, no one bothered to write all those 'miracles' until 40 years or more after the fact. I lived during the Kennedy years - if I saw John walk on water and come back from the dead - would I wait 4 decades to write it down? Come on! The whole idea is ludicrous, that such things would happen and not have the entire population writing it for posterity - yet no evidence suggests anything like that. NOW THAT'S A MIRACLE!

Jeff

• Satanus
    Satanus

'If you see a dude miraculously raise the dead, walk on water, resurrect himself, and go floating up into the sky, would you not believe what he tells you is going to happen when he gets to his destination?'

Let me know when this is taking place in my area. I'll be sure to be there. Not sure if i would believe his predictioons, though. Gravity and the afterlife are one thing. Time is another.

'At this point, let's beg the question. If you can't be certain of those things you didn't see, you can't be certain of almost anything.'

I don't worry too much about what i haven't seen. It's what i HAVE seen that i take as fairly reliable.

S

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

One of my favorite books on this subject is "Paul - The Mythmaker" . The writer goes into this subject and gives quite some insight on it. I too have wondered how Paul's writings came first and then came the gospels. Paul learned everything he knew from his vision and then went to damascus for about 3 yrs. But no one had anything to teach him from about christ as nothing had been written. He forms the church, gets everything going, and lo and behold, along comes the gospels. Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

ATJ asks:

Can you give me a quote where I made an assertion?

Here you go:

Still, the fact remains that men wrote these letters, men translated these letters, men preserved them, and there is very real evidence that they were "tweaked" if not outright changed through the centuries as various religio/political views came and changed with them.

What evidence led you to that conclusion? It's a simple question, and one does not have to be writing a college term paper in order to be asked that question. Atheiests and skeptics ask this of Christians constantly, yet when the tables are turned the atheist or skeptic responds in an indignant manner that they are somehow excused from this.

You mention Bart (not Brad) Ehrman's book Misquoting Jesus. Yes, I have read it, and found it to be an excellent primer on textual criticism. Sadly, it has been taken as a book that exposes the Bible as being full of errors. Many conservative scholars have come out with papers that are critical of Ehrman. One in particular is Ben Witherington, he states that many of Ehrman's arguements come straight from the German school of higher criticism from over one hundred years ago. All of these objections have been refuted by scholars. Sadly, Ehrman is trooting out these old views, and people how are ignorant of church history are gobbling them up as if they are the latest craze in scholarship. Witherington also points out that based on the nearly 5700 New Testament manuscripts we have an accuracy rate of 99.5%. Note that I am not even including the 19,000-plus copies that are extant in the Syriac, Coptic, Aramaic and Latin.

My conclusions are based on the evidence that Pauls extant writings were long out of existence, that copies were made, that these copies contained errors the further down in time you examine them, and that at the time that the books for the bible cannon were considered, various sects were competing for their own letters to be included. Some made it, others didn't.

What led you to this conclusion? I have not found anything that indicates that this is how the New Testament canon was put together. Now it is possible that I have missed a book or two. I do not claim inexhaustable knowledge on the subject, but I have read many conservative and liberal scholars regarding the assembling of the canon, and the arguments of the conservatives appear to line up with they way things were, to the best of our knowledge.

I might add though, that books like Misquoting Jesus and others are out there for anyone to examine the evidence, history and scholarship of the bible cannon, including Pauls letters. However, the evidence has had little effect on people of faith who are determined to believe no matter what evidence comes to light. For this, I have no desire to argue or change their minds. More power to them.

The problem is not that the "evidence has had little effect[sic] on people of faith who are determined to believe no matter what evidence comes to light." The problem is people that are so eager and willing to reject the Bible based on the old and refuted arguments of the 19th century. The problem is simple. I, like you will not argue with these sorts. However, I will not stand by and allow conclusions based on flimsy or no evidence, to remain unchallenged.

You haven't asserted anything. (I think) Would you assert that Pauls writings are really from Paul, and as such, inspired of god?

No, I have not asserted anything. I prefer to try to understand your views before I make my views known. I am not trying to be duplicitous, I am just attempting to gain clarity. However, to answer your question, yes, I do believe that Paul actually wrote the epistles that have his name. This view is based on internal and external evidences that are too numerous to enumerate here. I also believe that they are inspired by God. This view is again based on the internal and external evidences that are also too numerous to list here.

I would love to dialoge with you further on this, but if you are convinced that I am just blindly following the Bible, then there would be no benefit to either of us.

Peace to you.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that the fact paul focused a bit on stuff that the other writers didn't, like how to choose overseers and such, how women shoudl dress and whether people should marry, just shows that these were issues at the time.

Lets not forget that while the other apostles were preaching to Jews (typically) with established "approved" tradtions, Paul was preaching to the Gentiles. many with pagan traditons not approved by Pauls Jewish upbringing.

He simply stated what he believed to be the way to "correct" these views within the context of those times.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

That was an excellent response X-JW4EVER.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit