District Convention at Hayesbridge, Surrey?

by sweet pea 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

My dad informs me that the DC this year for many is at Hayesbridge Assembly Hall.

Now that is bizarre. I can't imagine what everyone must be thinking?

I think I'd have been relieved in one respect (no having to trudge over to Twickenham and cope with the little ones at a stadium that is not particularly child friendly) but on the other hand there was something special about being together with such a 'great crowd of witnesses' and seeing people you hadn't seen for a long time, etc, etc.

I reckon the DC at Hayesbridge this year will just feel even more like same ol' same ol'. Or even, oh, can I really be bothered??

What do you think?

• Diva
    Diva

Why are they having the DC at Hayesbridge?

Isn't twickenham big enough? I know the parking at twickenham is no longer a money spinner for them as the parking is now free.

• besty
    besty

it could be linked to the massive refurb they have just done there

I hear the entrance foyer is wall to wall marble now :-) click the link to see where Hays Bridge is - its a large compund about 30 miles outside London and in the map below you can see the large building with numerous outbuildings and carparks

View Larger Map

• sacdfan
    sacdfan

Hello - I'm a long time reader of forum - used to have an account - can't remember my old login or even username - it was back in 2003 that I joined.

Can I just ask Diva, what do you mean by 'the parking is now free'? Our congo still has to pay for parking tickets - it works out cheaper than going on the coach but the elder organising the tickets won't let anyone have one. We are all supposed to go on the coach and we have been 'advised' to contribute £12 per person per day - if you have a family it will cost mega bucks. Just for a couple to attend all 3 days will cost £72. A family of 5 will end up forking out £126 because kids go half price (£6). A car park ticket is cheaper at £10 per car per day but nobody is allowed to have one.

I don't understand - why are they charging for car park tickets if it is now free? What is free? Are they no longer being charged to park at car parks surrounding Twickenham? If so, why are they charging us?

I am interested in this because it made my blood boil when I heard it will cost so much - I can't afford it - but then I don't want to go to their poxy convention! I feel sorry for those who do and have to pay through the nose!! How they expect people to fork our over £100 quid for a weekend is beyond me!

sacdfan

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

The parking isn't free, it's just very limited. That's why they are encouraging people to go on the coach. I don't know the reason why.

• wobble
    wobble

I have doubts that heysbridge is being used,I think the maximum it would hold was 1,300 or so. unless they have been let down for a venue and are spreading it over several weekends.

But there are any number of football stadiums they could rent,out of season as it is.

My lot locally are using Gillingham F.C ground,Kent. they always had Bournemouth and or portsmouth and Plymouth.

Is there a problem with,say north London districts ?

Love

Wobble

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Either way, it is a waste of time. They might as well have it on the moon, for all I care. It would still be a waste of time.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

OK, so it looks like Twickenham is still on this year but according to my Dad, it's all to do with cutbacks: the Society have not booked so many car parks as it's so expensive.

So some congregations have been assigned to Hayesbridge instead. Have no idea about all the North London congs - maybe someone can clarify if they know of any being assigned to Boa's Road or anywhere else?

When I asked my dad how everyone felt about it he seemed to think that the general consensus was that's it a great idea - anything for an easier life these days it seems.......

• anglise
    anglise

We were assigned to the Brighton Centre a fews years ago. Arent they using it this year?

Anglise

• besty
    besty

AFAIK there are 3 weekends of DC's at Hays Bridge with 1400 at each.

6000 -7000 publishers have been de-assigned from twickenham to cut down on car parking cost - there is also maybe less to pay to rent Twickenham if they can all get into a smaler part of the stadium

gonna feel lonely there this year with 20,000 or less in an 82,000 seat stadium

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit