Ambition in older age - watch out you thirty somethings

by eyeslice 14 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

A couple of topics recently have made me think. First, there was Snowbird's "I think I am getting old" and the news that Farrah Fawcett has died at the relatively young age of 62.

Also, the economic down turn has started older people wondering if retirement as we used to know it will be a thing of the past. I am 56 years old but somehow never see myself retiring in the traditional sense of the word.

I am beginning to think that we are beginning to the time when older people will become more and more ambitious. Older people today enjoy unpresidented levels of good health. And, free form the responsibilities of children, the burden of mortgages and needing relatively little in terms of material things, could free up older people to become entrepeneurs, starting up new businesses, to become more educated (degrees, PhDs, etc.) and to devoting quality time to public services and charities.

So I say watch out you young ones, the age of the older person is here!

• caliber
    caliber

Sounds like you're a real positive go-getter.. good for you !! We could all do well to take a page from your book .

Abraham Lincoln:

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

• yknot
    yknot

I have an 'aunt' who recently 'retired' because she is 60-something.

All I can think is why? She is probably gonna live another 30 freakin' years!

I certainly hope yall born at the end of the 'baby boom' change things because I don't see myself 'retiring' until 80!

May as well put some of that 'gonna live forever' mentality to use in this lifetime.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Don't you know it!

I plan never to retire.

Sylvia

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Over-qualification is going to be a problem.

• Nowman
    Nowman

No matter what age you are, a positive attitude will get you somwhere!

Nikki

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Screw ambition and the rat-race. It's mostly ego driven. Screw working when I'm old. My dream is to retire as young as possible. "Work is for those with nothing better to do" - Oscar Wilde.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I am beginning to think that we are beginning to the time when older people will become more and more ambitious.

If that's a round about way of saying you've come to realise young people are not going to fund early retirement for all you older folks after all then I would say you are dead right.

Staying economically active into old age is no longer a choice for most people, and it is a necessity if the economic system as it is currently constituted is to continue.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Funny, I was talking with my dad, who is about to retire, and I can't see myself retiring at 65 - let alone 60 like him. I'm only 30, and I'm just now getting started! Heck, I'm thinking of going to collage and getting a neuroscience phd. I hope to keep going strong well into my 60's, and maybe retire at 70 at least. We live longer nowdays. Why retire at 65 when it is so young by today's standards?

- Lime

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

eyeslice: I say we are all young until we decide we are ready to die. Go for it!

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit