"Tobacco Control Act"

by inkling 17 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

If the government could survive without the taxes collected on smokes, they would have banned tobacco all together. If you really believe the taxes collected are going into health care as they claim, then you must have been a Jehovahs Witness.

This bill will do very little if anything to stop youth from smoking.

Statisticly, most smokers started smoking as teenagers. If they want to stop teens from smoking they should raise the age to purchase butts to 21. At 21 they may have more important things to spend their money on instead of sending it up in smoke.

I don't know where kids are getting the money for smokes here. Smokes cost almost 75$ a carton.

• restrangled
    restrangled

DjK....$75.00 a carton? who possibly could afford to smoke at that price? Sounds more expensive than weed.

r.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    As a 20 year smoker....I hope you listen to what I have to say.
    I have tried to quit multiple times with patches...they are good for overseas airplane trips!!!!! thats it.
    I smoke ultra lights....I don't know what that means but assumed it meant ultralight smoke, etc. I guess I was fooled.
    Florida just instituted a 1.00 plus per pack tax on name brands which put a carton close to $50.00. (almost a $20.00 increase).
    There was no way I was going to spend that much on cigarettes and the state already had that figured out. So they are now pushing cigs from the Indian reservations here called "Smoking Joes" (a special deal with the state) Cheaper than ever and you can't tell the difference. Problem is, they can barely keep up with the demand.
    $19.50 per carton, tax included.
    r.

R, honey, if you won't quit to save years of your life and much pain and misery from probable lung cancer and emphesema, what makes you think you would quit over an extra $20 a carton?

• PEC
    PEC

It doesn't go far enough; but, is a good start. $10 a pack coming soon to a Indian reservation near you.

Philip

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I hope it gets $20 a pack or $30 would be better. Then it will save some peoples lives.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I don't know if raising the price is the answer. It will stop some people from smoking but it will also create a black market for tobacco. And it also might create situations where people could get robbed for their pack of cigarettes. Maybe they should consider doing something to make tobacco less addictive. I've heard that cigarettes weren't as addicting before the 1960's when they started doing things like adding ammonia to lower the pH level to get the nicotine into your system faster. In other words free basing.

Trying to get people to stop smoking is a good thing but I don't like to single smokers out for punishment when I see all the harm people are doing to themselves with sugar and fast food. Smoking took its toll on my parents generation but I think you will see a similar toll taken on the up and coming generation by the amount of fast food and sugar they consume.

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

The founding fathers prefer hemp instead of tobacco-

"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country."
    - Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."
    - George Washington, U.S. President

"We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption."
    - John Adams, U.S. President

• Amazing
    Amazing

This bill is a lot of nonsense, like the ones before it ... it is all nothing but feel-goodism and self-righteousness at saying that smoking is bad. We do not need nanny government controlling our lives ... I enjoy a good cigar once in a while ... so flipping what. The centralized and federalized control going on in the country is sickening ... I can only hope that the younger generation will rise up and overturn the federal controls, not just of smoking, but a host of other power-grabbing laws.

Laws do not stop smokers from smoking ... it merely places one more burden on taxpayers to finance more police to enforce such laws. Well, for the last 50 years I have watched a continuous erosion of our liberties ... it has been especially bad in the last 20 years ... perhaps one day a new nation will arise that truly understands that the government needs to mind its own damn business ... and stop trying to control we the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit