films with possible jw scenarios

by Rosey 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Rosey
    Rosey

I just read a post there about "the village" and how it has similarities to jw life.......it was a good wee film and I can definitely see the links....

It made me think of other films and programs where the scenarios have a very familiar feel to them.....

Star Trek being the obvious one with "the borg"......

"Fiddler on the roof".........obviously this was not meant to be jw's........but the similarities were amazing and I remember thinking it was perfectly normal that a family would cut their daughter out of their lives simply because she fell in love with someone from a different background......oh how my feelings have changed!

Any more you can think of?

Rose x

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Happy Feet (the penguin cartoon)

Truman Show

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"The Jazz Singer" - Neil Diamond (about the Jewish faith - and their shunnung practice - but that applies to JWs)

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

V for Vendeta, Pleasantville

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Armageddon with Bruce Willis

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

THE MATRIX

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The Firm

Wizard of Oz

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I just thought of another one... one that probably shows an example of paradise gone wrong...

Zardoz (1974) - with Sean Connery

...also one of my favorites... but you have to be willing to watch an X-rated movie (but mild by today's standards).

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

There is a film which came out round about the time I started realising the truth about the JW organisation in 2001.

The film is Equilibrium starring Christian Bale (2001)

The similarities are exagerated in the film because of how far things have went (it's set in the near future) but one can only imagine what the Governing Body would do had they the kind of power the ruling class had in this film. The clerics, whom Christian Bale plays one of ,would represent the Elders who do the enforcing.

This was not a big hit at the time but a brilliant movie and much under-appreciated if a bit violent.

I would recommend a viewing. It will make a big impact on any who have had the JW experience.

Matt.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

The Village

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit