Pass Me Not ...

by snowbird 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.negrospirituals.com/news-song/pass_me_not.htm

Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior is a song we used to sing with such fervor in our little church.

I always thought it referred to the blind man who kept calling out to Jesus to have mercy on him. (Matthew 20, Mark 10, and Luke 18).

However, I've learned that Fanny J. Crosby, the woman who penned the lyrics, had Genesis 18 in mind. The account is about Abraham and how he saw the Lord God "Jehovah" standing near the entrance to his tent and ran out to bow down to Him. Abraham humbly requested that "Jehovah" would not pass him by, but would linger for a meal.

The Book of Jasher reports that "Jehovah" and Abraham often had such meetings, so that explains why Abraham immediately recognized "Jehovah." That puzzled me for a while.

"Jehovah" is one of the references to the Lord God of the Old Testament, who was later born as the man, Jesus of Nazareth. The Name is not used exclusively for the Father as WT claims.

Just a little Monday/Tuesday nugget.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sylvia, have you ever thought of the irony that you dislike men, yet you worship a male god whom you claim to love?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Of course I have.

There is a powerful tension in my questing spirituality.

I do believe I'm on the path to Someone who knows and understands, though.

Until then, it is what it is.

How's the book coming? It better not be anything about me and my idiosyncrasies!

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Bttt for Tuesday/Wednesday.

Sylvia

• parakeet
    parakeet
    Abraham humbly requested that "Jehovah" would not pass him by, but would linger for a meal.

Is that all it takes to get God's attention?

Hey God! I'm free for lunch Thursday. I'll pencil you in for 12:30 at Olive Garden. You'll love their alfredo.

(Why do I think I'll be stood up?)

• snowbird
    snowbird

When He comes a-callin,' it behooves us to have the attitude of Abraham.

Invite Him to sit a spell and bring out the best for Him.

Peace.

Sylvia

• parakeet
    parakeet

Sylvia: .... it behooves us ....

Do you actually say "behoove" in day-to-day conversation? It's like saying my husband "begat" my son. Then there's the down-home, aw-shucks "sit a spell" and "a-callin.'" You sound like a tent revivalist. Not convincing.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You sound like a tent revivalist. Not convincing.

LOL, I'm sure it's because I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

I was raised in the backwoods and spent a lot of time with my teachers.

Some of their quirks rubbed off on me.

Sylvia

• Warlock
    Warlock

I thought this was going to be about an experience you had behind the wheel.

Warlock

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Warlock, for bringing your unique comic relief to this thread.

Looks like someone got out of bed on the right side!

LOL.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit