Whitewater=Enron???

by Julie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

Unfortunately the quick sucesses in Afghanistan will likely encourage the admin. in the belief that it can do what it wants, that bombing works, and that the US can go it alone, including in Iraq, even if the European allies disagree. All of that, together with legislation aimed at curtailing civil rights will be rather interesting to watch. Tony Blair is not much better than Bush, suggesting that the governments, whatever their persuasion, are pretty much all alike, and only really interested in feathering their own nests.

Bush vs. Gore is an interesting question - that such awful alternatives ever arose in the first place is quite disturbing. Perhaps, all of this is sign that the democratic process is in quite some danger over the medium - long term.

Bush conveniently sold all his shares in his company just before it went bust, and was, I believe investigated by the SEC. He survived. Still, what an honest, God-fearing, born -again, Christian man he is.

LPH

• Julie
    Julie

Thank you all for your comments, and no Amazing, I am not looking to gloat. If I recall there were plenty of Democrats looking to distance themselves from Clinton too. I mean after all he did get a blow-job in the oval office and we spent what? $100 million to prove it? Well it's neither here nor there. (BTW, nothing compared to what went on in there during Nixon's years but I digress)

As to your claim about Republicans being willing to seperate on issues, I gotta tell you, I can't help but recall that footage of that Icon to Repulicans, Reagan, standing there saying re: Iran/Contra "Well, I didn't *think* I was guilty but the facts say otherwise so...." LOL That was such a classic. I can't believe everyone thought define "is" topped that. But then again we Americans have such short memories. Bet his handlers were DAMN glad that term was about over! Whew! Lord knows they earned their pay.

Ah well, we will never know what really happens because the Republicans will circle the wagons and the Democrats are not united enough to take out their own Contract On America to hammer away in the press all of these things this admin is doing that make Clinton's look like amatuers.

Oh, and for the record, I am not against business in any way. I am against business having too much power in Washington and getting too much of our hard-earned tax dollars. I guess that's just me though.....

Take care all and a happy winter solstice to you,
    Julie

• sf
  • Julie
    Julie

I think the main jist of my original post was missed. It was more to highlight the double-standard we are being subjected to, not to mention the complete apathy in the nation regarding these matters. Unless we all wake up and soon, we will all be very sorry. As good ol' Bob Dole once said "What Joe-six pack doesn't know won't hurt him" as he was re-writing the tax code (See Senator for Sale for reference on this and many more VERY interesting quotes).

Again, I thank all for your thoughtful replies, much to the surprise of many I am not a member of either party, agree with some conservative issues, more Democratic ones but it is the moderates I find myself in agreement with most (those of both parties). Just wishing we could all play fair. I know, I know, nothing's far in love, politics and war. Thanks for indulging my over-active (by American standards) sense of justice/injustice.

Regards to all,
    Julie

• sf
    sf

< http://www.conservativeusa.org/whosonfirst.htm

A portion:

Secretary of the Army: Thomas E. White, currently Vice-Chairman of Enron Energy Services. He has served as Chairman and CEO of Enron Operations Corporation and as Chairman and CEO of Enron Power Corporation since joining Enron in 1990. After 23 years, White retired from the U.S. Army as a Brigadier General. He served as Executive Assistant to General Colin Powell while he served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff 1989-1990 and served as Director of the Armor/Anti-Armor Special Task Force in the Office of the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army. He is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College and the War College.

• Julie
    Julie

I find it interesting too sf, that so much of our admin represents corporate America. So much for a goverment for the people, by the people etc.

Guess we'll have to soon revise that to read for the special interests, by the special interests, etc.

Thanks for the clip and the link, interesting stuff.

Julie

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

julie,

I love Noam Chomsky's characterization of it - government is just a welfare system for the rich.

LPH

• Seeker
    Seeker

Amazing, I really must disagree with your views.

The Difference: between Conservatives and Liberals is that Conservative admit when their party needs to be investigated and if found guilty, prosecuted. This was true when Republican Vice President Spiro Agnew was forced to resign and was prosecuted; and then then later President Nixon was forced to resign. Republicans, Conservatives would not tolerate it, and joined Democrats in bringing down the Republican Administration by 1974.
    Only when the evidence, i.e. the tapes, was so overwhelming of criminal misconduct that there was no way out. Until then, conservatives absolutely did stand with Nixon while liberals went rabid.

Both sides fight for their man and demonize the opposition. That's politics, and it's univesal.

Liberal Democrats, on the other hand, live in constant denial, and that is why they stood by thier man, Bill Clinton, as he lied in court, allowed national security information to be heard, documented, and spread by an Intern, allowed communist Chinese to illegally donate to his campaign, and then allowed the communists Chinese steal nuclear secrets in return, and spent more time haveing his penis sucked and spreading his semen on Monica than doing the people's business. Instead, Liberals whinned and bled their hearts for their man, making excuses for thier leader, and fought it all tooth and nail.
    That's a laughably one-sided view of the matter. Clinton "spent more time" with Monica than being president? That's absurd on the face of it, and the kind of rhetoric that is said to inflame an argument.

Clinton wasn't Nixon. Nixon committed crimes. Clinton lied about his personal life. That's why Nixon was going to be impeached, and Clinton shouldn't have even been mentioned in the same sentence as 'impeachment.' This isn't denial, it's reality. Simple fact is, all politicians do corrupt things. Not all of them break the law. Bush Jr. has shown himself to be a liar, but that's not impeachable. Heck, that's practically a job description for politicians.

The difference between conservatives and liberals? Not much, any more. Both groups are just taking sides, viewing the world through us-versus-them glasses, and that does more harm than good as any glance on Capital Hill shows us.

Issues, not sides, is what should be taken. And to comment on this thread, if it were Clinton involved with Enron, the conservatives would already have a commission investigating. There wasn't much more to Whitewater than this, and they hung on that for years. So there is a double-standard at work.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Julie,

Enjoyed your post and the many comments. Though I am a Jeffersonian Democrat, I agree with much of what Amazing said, especially his comment that the Liberal Democrats are like the JWs. You might find it interesting that "Judge" Rutherford, the real founder of the JWs, was a Liberal Democratic activist at the turn of the last century. The Watch Tower even admits to his political past in the May 27, 1942 CONSOLATION (now AWAKE), page 4. See also the May 6, 1892 BOONVILLE WEEKLY ADVERTISER, page 4.

The serious flaw of modern liberalism is the centralization of power. Rutherford applied this political philosophy to Russell's Bible Student movement by grabing control of the local congregations and forcing them to submit to the central government in Brooklyn. The local democratically elected were purged, and replaced with Rutherford men who would follow the commands of the dictator. This was all done, so Rutherford said, for the benefit of the rank and file. Eventually choice was eliminated and everyone had to toe the party line. Dictators cannot exist without the centralization of power. I strongly agree with Thomas Jefferson, that government which rules least is the most effective.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

I found Amazing's post quite odd - presumably most people know what oral sex involves - so laying it out in such graphic detail was not only uncalled for but a bit salacious to boot. It is quite Amazing how people who pride themselves on independent thinking can be so easily corralled into the appropriate corner when the time comes. That's true for the Democrat or the Republican - the differences between the two parties are somewhat like those between Swift's big-and little-endians. Mainly, they are there to distract the unthinking masses from what's really going on, or so it seems to me.

LPH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit