Thanatophobia, or fear of death

by Hope4Others 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Thanks for the video Lime, that was pretty cute....are you dangerously allergic to bee stings and wasp stings?

witness07- you haven't been out that long yet, it does tend to stay with one for sometime....or perhaps some never get past it. Have you read any

of Hassans books?

This fear I think many jw's have is too real, everything they do in their lives revolves around the kingdom, service, meetings. They will argue

the bible, doctrine to the death. They can not let there focus sway to give up on these things they open their mind and lose site of the paradise.

h4o

• flipper
    flipper

I think most JW's have this fear and try to consciously put it out of their minds byconvincing themselves they will live forever in an alleged " Paradise ". I think it gives them a pacifier to suck on in order not to face the real world we all live in. Very delusional

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Fear of Death?..Whats the point?..How do you know when your dead?..Is there something special you should look for,that indicates your dead?................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't feel it's selfish to desire to go on living forever. It's very normal, not to want life or consciousness to end. It's probably nearly universal for people to desire to keep on living.

What is selfish is for people to make up civil policies, laws or religious doctrines that play on the universal fear of death. When people use the fear of death, in any way, to manipulate other people into certain behaviors, it's basically evil. There is this kind of evil going on in Iran today. Basically it's:" Protest and you might just die." "We will kill you if you keep fighting these election results."

Sometimes people use this fear of death to manipulate others on a more personal level. "If you tell anyone that I am molesting you, I will burn down the house during the night with all of you in it." "If you try to leave me & take the kids, I will kill you all." "If you cheat on me, I will kill you."

I want to go on living. I love and enjoy my life now. I don't want my life to end just because my body has died. I don't believe this is selfish at all. I think it's very natural.

The WTBTS is just one of many religions, governments, or entities that uses fear of death to control. We fell prey to the WTB&T society. I believe if there was selfishness involved, it was for ever allowing ourselves to believe that God would only save Jehovah's Witnesses or that we belonged to some exclusive god-approved club. Any fundamentalist view that God only saves people who join a certain club involves selfishness on the part of solid believers.

• caliber
    caliber
    Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
    Thomas Jefferson

Love and freedom must go hand in hand for inner peace and ultimate happiness. The ultimate happiness is

total freedom from fear.~~~Cal

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

As I work through my therapy for anxiety and fear, I agree that I feel much more contentedness and happiness. Life isn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be, for me to feel much more content. I'm a much better place, fear-wise than I ever have been.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The way I now see things, I was "dead" for all of time up to the day I was conceived. Then I gradually gained sentient self awareness as my brain developed. I still remember the day when I was a child that I first realized my existence. This self awareness caused me to ask myself, "Why am I 'me'? Of all the people who have ever existed past and present, why is my consciousness in this body at this time?"

I didn't have sufficient knowledge to answer my questions at that young age. I think I do now. I now believe I am not as unique or special as an individual as I once thought. I see myself in other people. Our minds are a biochemical process of our central nervous systems and brains. Our brains and bodies are built on the blueprint of our genetic codes. Our genetic codes are nearly identical copies with less than 1% variation between individual humans. For all intents and purposes, I am 'you,' and you are 'me.'

What does make me "unique" are my experiences and memories. I am hard pressed to think of any significant experience I have had in my life that is solely mine, that is, never experience by any other human past or present. If anything, I have come to see just how commonplace my experiences, thoughts and feelings are among others.

What about memories? They are intangible and so easily lost. I do have a good memory right now. I'm surprised at some of the things I remember from decades ago. Sometimes I am surprised at the things I can no longer remember that happened in just the last year. If I am lucky, I may keep most of my memories until the day I die.

If I die the death I expect to die, I will go from being fully sentient and self aware one moment to completely oblivious and brain dead in a matter of minutes. A lifetime of memories will be wiped out by the deaths of billions of brain cells starved of oxygen. And "I" will cease to exist for all eternity just as "I" didn't exist before my conception and gradual self awareness.

I do not fear this for it is the nature of existence. I am not alone as I prepare to join my ancestors in their eternal sleep.

Dave

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    HintOfLime: Here's a little youtube video regarding my fear. This is actually me, demonstrating how to deal with the life or death threat of a wasp inside your house.

That was hilarious, but I share your terror of wasps. In fact I have a fear of anything that flies and buzzes (including flies, mosquitos, wasps and bees but not including moths, butterflies etc.). I love the bit where you had already put on the hat, mosquito net and flannel suit then said "now, that's a really good start". hahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit