Public Talk Speakers - Your Worst Meal...

by Confucious 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

Just a fun thread.

Ok... for those who used to give public talks out of town.

And the cong had "hospitallity" and took you out to lunch.

What was your worst meal?

Con

• four candles
    four candles

I used to go away to give talks,we went to a cong in the heart of Wales,the bro assigned to feed us took us 3/4 journey to his caravan in Barmouth then gave us,a family of 4,jam sandwiches. Having said that,he was a nice old bloke,bit like cleggy from last of the summer wine tv programme.

We used to get petrol expenses as well,any one else get that?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Jonathan Smith, the unmarried CO told the congregation he would not mind eating only the popcorn as a meal. Maybe he was trying to be nice. He is a good guy to me. Did anyone have Jonathan Smith as CO? How did you like him? He also had food restrictions too like no red meat, etc. The food restrictions was listed on the info board at the KH. He was pretty young CO. He was appointed CO when he was 25. I believe that I had him as CO when he was about 30. He is now 44, I believe, not sure if he is still the CO. He grew up in North Dakota.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Soy hamburgers with overcooked vegetables. BEFORE the talk. Had a bad taste in my mouth all thru the talk.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't recall any really bad meals. One time, a bookstudy overseer gave me cash saying that his group was assigned hospitality but was unable to provide me a meal. It was enough to cover a nice restaurant meal for my wife and I.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Very few meal offers came my way....Does that tell you something?

Mind you I like most speakers in the South England usually declined if possible. The distances were not great and most of us would rather get back home.

The one or two that I do recall were always nice.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Lol. Jam sandwiches.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, this was one of the educational points that made us see it was time to leave.

In one case, we showed up and the PO had rearranged the schedule and the person who had signed up for hospitality thought we were coming next week and had arrangements already that Sunday. The PO was not concerned and basically showed us the door and told us not to let the door hit us in the backside. He did not like my husband and had arranged this little scenario.

One time my husband subbed for a brother who cancelled. We showed up and the couple was expected the first couple (evidently neither the talk coordinators nor the first brother saw fit to tell them of the change). Suddenly a family emergency came up and we were left hanging.

The third time, the husband decided to step in but the wife was obviously "quietly" unwilling. As we started leaving to go to a restaurant, we could see them arguing. We just stopped along the way and my husband said I wasn't feeling well and we were going home.

As I read above in many congregations it is one family, maybe two that do all the hospitality. In the congregations I was in there were the popular speakers that were signed up for right away, and then there were the old maids, we always signed up for them and never had a bad time.

Blondie

• sspo
    sspo

I can't remember any bad meals, most went out of their way to feed you good.

Very often took us to a restaurant.

Chicago area never fed you.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

I was invited to a picnic after the meeting once. The family feeding me was "mountain folk". They were having a cook out. They asked me how I liked my steak. I thought "can't go wrong with steak." Sure enough, it was deer steak. Worst meal ever only because I don't like deer meat. Other than that, I always had good meals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit