MagicJack anyone?

by AK - Jeff 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just bot one - tried calls both ways - seems to be excellent voice quality. I had to go out of my local prefix and that will cause locals to dial long distance to reach me - but other than that I find few glitches on trial.

I was only paying 30 bucks a month for local/LD with my cable bundle - but if it works well over the next couple weeks I will drop the cable/phone. Looks like the same technology anyway.

Only glitch so far is in switching from one windows user to another - since I installed on my account, I lose dial tone and all when I switch users. I will figure out how to work around that.

Jeff

• freeman
    freeman

I’m just about to take the plunge myself. I have 4 numbers coming into my house now (all of them Vo/IP technology) and I’m thinking of replacing the one provided by the cable with the Magic Jack. I won’t be installing it on a PC but on what is called a Thin Client. Basically it has Flash memory instead of a hard drive, no fans, and the operating system is windows XP Imbedded. It is very small, only eats about 10 watts, low heat, no noise, and can stay on 24/7 running nothing but the MJ. You can purchase them (used) on e-bay quite inexpensively. You may wish to consider doing the same if you keep the MJ. We will see how it works out.

Freeman

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for the info Freeman. Never heard of Thin Clients before. Is there a screen to set up the software or what?

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just looked them up - does the thin client have to function as a network unit? Or can it operate just using wi-fi?

Jeff

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I have digital voice through Comcast, and it's great. Great sound, no long distance fees, and I actually got it free as part of a promotional deal when I got high speed internet with boost.

• oompa
    oompa

Skype vocal to computer is free isnt it?..........oompa

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Oompa - my neice is using Skype and said it was 10 bucks a month or something like that - there might be various programs.

The only 'glitch' I have found thus far is that I have to leave the computer on, and I have to leave my personal windows account operational when it is on [I can 'switch' users, just not log off my account].

My former phone, which I have not discontinued yet until I test the MJ for a couple weeks, was thru my cable company, but instead of 40 bucks for a year, I have been paying about 30 per month. Can't see any reason to continue if this works well.

Jeff

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

My mom swears by Magic Jack

• freeman
    freeman

I’ve got the Magic Jack installed on the Thin Client, works perfectly so far. The only annoyance I can see is that you need to include the area code for all outgoing calls, even if they are local to you. I purchased mine at Radio Shack, so I could also obtain the 1 yr replacement guarantee (about $5.00 US) just top keep it hassle free.

From what I can see so far, this is a keeper. If you are thinking of using a Thin Client (a striped down solid state PC about the size of a router, flash memory, no hard-drive, no moving parts or fans, and eats less then a nightlight worth of power), I suggest you obtain a Magic Jack ready unit off of eBay. Mine was not MJ ready so I had to do some configuring, and add some drivers. I suggest you pay a little more and get one that is MJ ready. For a MJ ready Thin Client install, all you need is a monitor, keyboard, and mouse for the initial install and registration, then you can disconnect all that and it’s a little box sits in the corner, stays on 24/7, and never gets hot. One more advantage of going with a Thin Client, and this is a big one, part of the reason the MJ is cheap is because they monitor your Web activities and sell that info to third parties (read advertisers). However, if you dedicate a machine to MJ use only, then they get no info from the spyware they install.

I hope that helps.

Freeman

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I know this is a year-old thread but I got my magic jack recently and used it and it worked great for me and it is more than paying for itself since I got a Tracfone and I purchase minutes for it so I will not have a monthly phone bill. With the Magic Jack I will not have to use up so many of those minutes so I am saving a lot of money and have as much phone service as I need.

Has Magic Jack worked for anybody else?

LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit