Tetragrammaton Tattoo

by cabasilas 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Last week was finals week at the college. As I was studying for one of my tests I noticed this one guy (early 20s, muscular, four day beard, average college student looking) getting on the elevator next to where I was sitting. Then I noticed he had a rather unusual tattoo. It was the Tetragrammaton just below his shoulder (YHWH in Hebrew letters). I've seen a lot of students with Chinese characters as tattoos, but this was the first I'd ever seen a tattoo in Hebrew....and the Tetragrammaton at that.

I've never seen him before and haven't seen him since. He couldn't have been a JW, right? First, a tattoo. Secondly, a college student. Third, a beard (but it was recently grown).

Would he be Jewish? Seems like something someone Jewish wouldn't do. But, then maybe?

Anyone ever seen a Tetrgrammaton tattoo before? It was done nicely, I have to say.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'm not a big fan of tats but that's actually kinda cool. Completely different. I've lately unseriously toyed with the idea of getting inked myself, but I am very resistant, and it would have to be my own design.

BTS

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Actually, that was my reaction too. I've never been inked myself too. Maybe, someday?

• villabolo
    villabolo

It seems to go against the spirit of Leviticus 19:28 (NIV) which says: "Do not . . . put tattoo marks upon yourself. I am the LORD (Yahweh)."

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I kind of like this retort "Proof Texting for Tattoos"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_16_124/ai_n27341292/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Burniticus 6:6: She that tats the mammaries of mine eye must be stricken from among mine people. I have builded them perfect from Eve hence, and will not abide a marring thereof. Though shalt not ink thy bikini area with the names of ex boyfriends, nor shalth thou emplace a tramp stamp of overused design above thy ass cleavage. Such a thing is an abomination to mineself, and I shall not abide it. However, it doth make a convenient target in the case of a hasty withdrawal of mine armed host.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

Have you ever seen a woman with a mans name tattooed on her neck? Hellacious.

• only me
    only me

The Tetragramaton is used a lot in magick. Lots of magickally inclined people in university. Or maybe he belongs to another religion that uses that name.

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

There was a man walking around at Six Flags over Georgia with the tetragrammaton on his shoulder....I had the same reaction, odd but interesting.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I was just reminded of where the old Babylon the Great book (p. 460) refers to the Tetragrammaton on the foreheads of the anointed:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/babylon/babylon21.html

Since the Hebrew language is twice mentioned in the book (Revelation 9:11: 16:16) and since the apostle John was a Hebrew, it was doubtless the sacred Hebrew tetragrammaton (tetragrammaton) that he also saw written on the foreheads of the 144,000, for YHWH (tetragrammaton) is what Jehovah says his name is. That fact makes it certain that the 144,000 faithful Christians seen on Mount Zion are Jehovah's witnesses. — Isaiah 43:10.

Personally, I think it'd look cooler just below the shoulder than on the forehead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit