The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

by B_Deserter 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Just finished this book and it's a fascinating read about an agnostic author who decides to follow the Bible as literally as possible for a year. He grows a beard, wears white everywhere he goes, carries a staff and consults with leaders from almost every facet of Judaism and Christianity. I highly recommend this book to everyone, religious or not. It's notable in the fact that the author is not just out to bash religion, but to understand why religious people feel the way they do. Some of his presuppositions are dashed and some of yours may be as well.

• Dagney
    Dagney

What at coinkidink.

I just watched a video of the author on TedTV.com at sweetpea and besty's house last night. Very interesting...and funny.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/a_j_jacobs_year_of_living_biblically.html

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

I read that book, and LOVED it. I couldn't put it down; it was so interesting. It was informative, as well as hilarious! Some parts were moving. The author writes with candor about his thoughts and feelings, and the things he discovered about himself. His family and friends' reactions to what he's doing. Hehe, it makes me want to read it again. Fun and different book.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I didn't read the book, but I did see him interviewed on TV. I wonder if he tried to to follow these verses as "biblically" and as literally as possible for a year.

Hab 2:4

"Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith.

Rom 1:17

For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Gal 2:20

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

Gal 3:11

Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Heb 10:38

BUT MY RIGHTEOUS ONE SHALL LIVE BY FAITH; AND IF HE SHRINKS BACK, MY SOUL HAS NO PLEASURE IN HIM. 39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit