Not all money is good money.

by purpleplus 7 Replies latest jw friends

• purpleplus
  • purpleplus
    purpleplus

Let's try this again...

Who on this board can relate to this experience?

I recently saw a "brother" while I was out and about. He asked if I still do the freelance work that I've done in the pass, because he and a sister needed my services. As much as I could use the money, I told him I don't freelance anymore. I could have done it, but I don't want any unnessary contact with "the friends". I've socially disassociated from my witness friends to facilitate my fade. If I would have accepted the job, imagine the exchange during downtime, "how are things? How's your husband? Do you think he'll accept 'The Truth'? You haven't visited our congregation for a while. Do you still go to $%^&*(#@ congretation?"

The encounter was brief and he went away. Please share your thoughts and/or similar experiences.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I try to avoid the JW's at all times.

There's a little store around the corner from me that allows the JW's to work the entrance and parking lot with their literature.

I never go there on Saturday mornings; I don't want to run into any of them with their fake smiles and prying eyes.

Sylvia

• Robert7
    Robert7

I have usually avoided doing business with JWs. Their quality of work was never anything special, and usually (in my experience) they many times were sub-par, which created some awkward situations since there is a personal relationship at some level.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If I wanted the $ and could do the job while completely avoiding small talk, hell yeah, I'd take the job.

During and after borgification, cultists took a lot from me financially, sometimes w/o my permission. I see no reason to take their $ now if they want to hire me. Their money's just as green.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be like this the whole time, but there are many clients I don't like.

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

Good point Rebel8.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

True, there is bad money--and not counterfeit money, either. Once I bought an air conditioner from a witless (this was when I first became a witless) who was studying with me. I found with the directions four $50 bills. Retrospectively, I now believe that it was put there on purpose to make sure I was "ready" for baptism (suppose I would not have checked the directions until the humanoid was disfellowshipped, dope?). When I reported that money, not only I could not keep it (which wouldn't have been that bad in itself), but I had to put it in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund! No, he would not take the damn money and do it himself--that slimebag had to get MY hands dirty on that money!

Now that was bad money--I would have been better off had that envelope just contained the directions (which, incidentally, I did not need since it only took me about ten minutes to figure out how to run that electricity hog anyways).

• rebel8
    rebel8

One time I worked with dubs and they tried to witness to me. They probably hired me with the intention of doing just that, but I never agreed to any such thing.

I used the broken record technique:

"I'm not going to talk about that."

If that doesn't work, I usually start with subtle things that act as repellants, such as letting a Harry Potter book stick out of my briefcase.

If that doesn't work, I escalate by drawing pentagrams on things. That has yet to fail.

I'm serious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit