• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Interesting video on the lost gospel of judas:

http://www.guba.com/watch/2001007263

• frankiespeakin
  • cameo-d
    cameo-d

Hi Frankie.

Your video does not come through for me.

However, this is an interesting subject.

Here is a tidbit gleaned from another source: "The Gospel of Judas, Barbelo, and Long Kept Secrets":

On one occasion, when he found his disciples in "pious observance" and giving thanks to their god, he laughed and they asked why. In his answer, it is made abundantly clear that their god is not his god - he is not the son of their god, and they did not know his identity. In fact, he does not speak highly of their god. (This sentiment can be also found in the New Testament in John 8, where Jesus refers to their god as a liar, a murderer, and the devil.)

http://www.rense.com/general71/defmo.htm

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Beautifully done, if not a bit sensationalized. Bookmarked for later watching... (45 minutes long.)

Thanks, Frankie!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Of course their were many writings of early christians that were excluded from the bible cannon by the rich and powerful because they didn't fit in with their agenda and teachings.

I often think about how verses that encouraged the paying of taxes and being obiedient to the governments helped insure thier inclusions into the bible cannon. Much of what is found in the bible is there because the powers that be,, wanted it there to further there political agenda and keep the people under thier control.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Pretty interesting. I'm not religions myself, but I still find it interesting the way religious beliefs and teachings have evolved over time.

- Lime

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Cool Post.....JWD/JWN.....Investigate......................................................OUTLAW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The video is very well made and worth watching. I didn't see the whole thing, but it seems to interpret the book along the lines of the National Geographic team's analysis, i.e. claiming that Judas is seen in a positive light in the gospel. This early assessment however has now been forcefully challenged by other scholars. See April DeConick's The Thirteenth Apostle: What the Gospel of Judas Really Says for a very perceptive discussion of the portrayal of Judas in the new gospel. In short, Judas is indeed depicted as an arch-villian and is the vehicle through which the gospel engages in a polemic against orthodox Christianity (which viewed Jesus' soteriological function, at least in part, in sacrificial terms).

It is not really correct to refer to Judas as a book excluded from the Bible canon; it wasn't the kind of book that would have come up for consideration for inclusion. The NT as we have it is a product of the proto-orthodox church, whereas Judas circulated primarily in a very different socio-religious community, the Sethian gnostics, who likewise would not have recognized many of the books that contributed to our NT as valid "scripture". There were different ideas on scripture in different competing religious communities, each appealing to apostolic authority in different ways. Judas contains a rather arcane Sethian cosmogony that represents a very different mythological tradition than what prevailed in early "orthodox" churches. I think any average person who is familiar with early proto-orthodox literature found in the NT and outside it in the apostolic fathers would puzzle over this aspect of the book: "What's all this about Barbelo? Who is this Saklas figure? What does this have to do with Christianity?" It is probably related to some of the background of certain material in the NT, but the book itself is sectarian in a rather similar way as the Community Rule was sectarian to Qumran Essenism and the Book of Mormon is sectarian to later Mormonism.

• reniaa
    reniaa

the gnostic apocrypha are interesting but easily established as later additions written in 2nd or third centuries

leolaia is right in her research, the community that wrote it were known for picking famous figures from the bible and writting these books on them in the flavour or their own beliefs

Reniaa

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    the gnostic apocrypha are interesting but easily established as later additions written in 2nd or third centuries

50 years later... 300 years later... Genesis was written well over 1000 years after the events it describes. Guess we should throw it out too.

[Insert plug for the evidence-supported theory of Evolution by Natural Selection Here]

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit