Accents and Dialects

by snowbird 27 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

So as not to further the "Head Cheese thread," I'm starting this one because of something Narkissos mentioned about a fricative consonant.

It's like an f or s, produced by forcing air through our teeth.

That got me to thinking about the test the Gileadites gave to the Ephraimites in Judges 12.

JUDGES12: 5 -6 Gilead captured the fords of the Jordan at the crossing to Ephraim. If an Ephraimite fugitive said, "Let me cross," the men of Gilead would ask, "Are you an Ephraimite?" and he would say, "No." And they would say, "Say, 'Shibboleth.'" But he would always say, "Sibboleth"—he couldn't say it right. Then they would grab him and kill him there at the fords of the Jordan. Forty-two Ephraimite divisions were killed on that occasion. MSG

What do you think caused the Ephraimites' inability to pronounce Shibboleth?

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The brain's language centers get wired at a young age. For example I know many Americans that speak Spanish very well, but having learned it at a late age, (say as JW missionaries in S America) they have trouble rolling the R's. In the particular case you mention, apparently, the Ephraimites had a local version of Hebrew that they spoke that varied from the pronuciation of the other tribes.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, BTS.

Isn't that amazing?

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Yeah, and I guess it's unfortunate. It would be nice to be able to pick up a language easily at any age. Children don't have to hardly even try, their brains pick it up easily, they are so moldable at that age.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, I knew of a young girl who was bilingual - she could speak Japanese fluently because her military parents were stationed in Japan.

Her xenophobic grandma forbade her to speak the language, so she soon forgot it!

Sylvia

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Accents Mate....I dunno, crikey mate I'm flat out thinkin Aussie blokes dont have an accent.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    apparently, the Ephraimites had a local version of Hebrew that they spoke that varied from the pronuciation of the other tribes.
    BTS

Kind of like Peter, by his accent, identified as being from Galilee, I suppose?

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

OO7, you Aussies are an entirely different story.

How can anyone understand y'all?

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Matthew 26:73 Shortly after that, some bystanders approached Peter. "You've got to be one of them. Your accent gives you away." MSG

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

A language's phonology is a system of sound contrasts. "B" and "p" are considered different consonants in English; these are bilabial plosives that contrast according to whether the sound is voiced (involving the vibration of the vocal chords) or not, and thus you can have separate words that contrast in just this feature, e.g. bin and pin, bot and pot, back and pack, etc. Other details in the articulation of these sounds do not contribute to the contrast. So, for instance, in English we regularly aspirate the "p" when it is the first sound in a word but not the "b". Say "pack," "pin", "pot", and you will hear or feel a puff of air following the consonant that we don't say when we articulate "back", "bin", and "bot". One could say "b" with a little puff of air (i.e. b h I n for "bin"), but it would not be regarded as some entirely different consonant; it would just be "b" with a little puff of air (maybe said that way if the person is out of breath or while lifting something). In Hindi, however, there is a contrast between [p] and [p h ] and between [b] and [b h ], e.g. pal "take care of" and p h al "edge of a knife", bal "child" and b h al "forehead". Because of English phonology, it may be hard for an English speaker to pronounce Hindi correctly. Because aspiration after "p" is obligatory in English, an English speaker may pronounce pal as p h al, which would be like someone saying "shave" for "save" in English. Or the English speaker might pronounce it as "b", since English speakers are not used to hearing the aspiration after the "p"; an unaspirated "p" sounds like a "b" to an English speaker, which is never aspirated in English.

Dialects may also differ according to phonemic contrasts; a good example in English are the dialects where postvocalic "r" is pronounced rhotically and those where it is not. So some may pronounce "dear" as "deah", and if they try to "correct" their speech to insert rhotic "r"s where their natural speech lacks them, they might make mistakes like saying "idear" for "idea".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit