1976 Questions By Jehovah's Witnesses

by cabasilas 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Back in 1976 a network of JWs began discussions on some subjects and were surprised their questions about the WT Society were similar. They sent out thousands of copies of a 20 page letter to Kingdom Halls in several countries. I remember hearing about it from a couple of elders when it happened. In those days, JW elders would read such stuff and did not automatically throw stuff away first without reading it. It's an interesting document. For those interested, it can be downloaded from the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/QuestionsByJehovahsWitnesses

Probably the best mode to download on that page is PDF.

Here is a snippet of a couple sections of that letter. Remember, this was written by active JWs at the time:

PERSECUTION, BROUGHT ON BY WHOM?

Persecution has always been a part of serving God faithfully. However, is Christian
    persecution to be expected primarily from the political or the religious enemies of God? Who
    persecuted the prophets of old, the nations, or Jehovah's own people In His organization?
    Who persecuted Jesus, Stephen and Paul, the nations, or the apostate leaders and their blind
    followers in God's organization? On the other hand, hasn't Jehovah repeatedly used the nations
    to punish his wayward idolatrous people? Was not Nebuchadnezzar used to punish the
    rebel king Zedekiah who had rebelled against the "superior authority" of Babylon? Were not
    the Roman armies in their role in destroying the "holy place" called "his (Jesus') armies in
    70 CE? Is this why Paul could say that the superior authorities are "God's minister, an
    avenger" to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad"? So, according to Bible types,
    do the nations usually serve as Christian persecutors, or as Jehovah's agents of judgement
    on His people? If the ancient types are a pattern for today (Ro 15:4), what might we suspicion
    if we are being persecuted by the nations? What should Jerusalem have suspicioned In 607 and
    In 70?

The scriptures are clear in their admonition for Christians to be in subjection to the
    superior authorities. Ro 13:l-4;Col 1:16;2:10; I Tl 2:1,2; Tit 3:1; I Pe 2:13.14; Pr 20:2
    The Bible is not without its record of faithful men who served the superior authorities
    closely, some even becoming superior authorities. Examples are Moses, Joseph, Daniel and
    his three companions, Mordecai and the Christian "holy ones" of the household of Caesar.
    Php 4:22 Elisha even permitted Naaman to subject himself to the king of Assyria to the
    extent of aiding the king to bow to the false god Rlmmon. 2 Ki 5:18,19 If we take an un-
    righteous stand against the nations, not properly subjecting ourselves to them, and they per-
    secute us, is this "righteous Christian persecution," or actually punishment from Jehovah
    and his ministers of wrath upon the ones practicing what is bad? Ro 13:1-4

Our brothers in Malawi are being persecuted because they will not purchase a party card.
    The superior authorities of Malawi attach no religious significance to the card but rather
    require the purchase of all who wish to be citizens. There is only one party in Malawi, and
    thus the party is Malawi. (Awake! 12-8-75:4, para 3) Has the superior authority of Malawi
    poked its finger in the eye of God by requiring this purchase in defiance of the directives
    of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society? It is interesting that even Jesus' parents complied
    with Caesar in registering, even though the registration was used in part for conscription
    into the military. Lk 2:1-3; Aid, p. 1383 And Paul asserted his Roman citizenship. Acts 22:25

Brother Knorr and others at Bethel, readily sign passports which state: "I (e.g. N.H.Knorr)
    a citizen of the United States..." "Citizenship" in itself is political. Can countries force
    citizenship. Do the countries step on Jehovah's toes by so doing? Is it possible that we are
    stepping on His toes by not being in subjection? Might it be, looking at the Bible types,
    that the persecution in Malawi Is because of an unrighteous stand against God's superior
    authorities? Is the stand of the brothers in Malawi, obedience to God or to the Watchtower
    Society? The brothers readily carry WTBTS member cards. Is It any wonder our stand is viewed
    as political? Are our brothers laying down their lives for Jehovah or for Brooklyn? Did
    those in Jerusalem lay down their lives in 607 and 70 for Jehovah or their religious leaders?
    If one feels it is the dictate of Brooklyn that is resulting in the persecution and death
    of brothers, should we direct our letters of appeal to Malawi or to Brooklyn?

•WILL WE RECEIVE OUR JUDGEMENT WITHOUT MERCY?

There can be little question but that justice is extremely important to Jehovah.
    Jesus came to send forth justice, and religions are to be Judged on the basis of their justice.
    Deut 32:4; Isa 28:22; Jer 2:5;22:3.5; Mic 3:1,9; Mt 12:18-21; Lk 18:1-8; Ro 9:14 Would it
    not follow that the matter of justice should be preeminently important to us? Would we not
    want to make sure that we were just personally, and that we did not give support to a system
    that was unjust or unscriptural?

When Jesus said that the third step of Mat 18 should be taken to the "congregation,"
    why do we take It to a "committee?" Mat 18:17 Where Is the "judicial committee" found in
    scripture? We reject the trinity partly because the term is not found In the Bible, do we
    have a hypocritical double standard with regard to "judicial committee"?

If open hearings ("taking it to the congregation" Mat 18:17) help to insure justice,
    and this was the clear pattern Jehovah has set for handling hearings, as the "Aid" book
    clearly indicates (p. 384, last paragraph; p. 1053, paragraphs 3 and 4), why do we not follow
    it if we are keenly concerned with justice being met? Why did Paul write: "reprove before
    all onlookers. . .rebuke before the majority," if he had the idea of secret "judicial committee
    hearings"? 2Co 2:6; I Ti 5:20 Why did Jesus condemn the things done in secret? Lk 22:53;
    Jo 3:20,21;18:20 Were not the Injustices done to Jesus in large part due to stealth and
    secrecy? Mat 26:4,5; Mr 3:6;12:13;14:i;26:65

If the committee commits injustice against "innocent blood, "(committees, made up of
    sinful fallible men, are certainly not above committing injustices) and the congregation
    follows suit by spiritually stoning the innocent one — they, of course, not knowing innocence
    or guilt due to the secret nature of the hearings — where does the congregation stand in
    Jehovah's eyes? Does not Jehovah "hate those shedding innocent blood"? Pr 6:7; See also
    Jer 19:4;22:3,16,17;26: 15 Is the congregation removed from guilt because they were "only
    following orders"?

Does the system of adjudication we presently have allow for gross Injustices? We know
    that there are vast throngs of disfellowshipped ones out In the world, and is it possible
    that in many of their cases "the way of the wicked ones is what has succeeded, that all those
    commltting treachery are the unworried ones"? Jer 12:1 Is it possible of some of our dis-
    fellowshipped brothers: "Look! the tears of those being oppressed, but they have no comforter;
    and on the side of their oppressors there was power, so that they had no comforter"? Ec 4:1

Is it by accident that the secret system of disfellowshipping protects the brothers in
    Brooklyn and their teachings from the critical eyes of those "testing the Inspired expression"?
    I Jo 4:1 Is it not true that the Society and their representatives in the congregations are
    trained to ferret out any who do not conform, who question, who alert others to error? Does
    not the secret nature of hearings pretty much guarantee the Society protection, while the
    brothers at large remain blind to the issues, the criticisms, perhaps even the truth? Does
    not the system result in the casting out of any who challenge the position of those who like
    the first place among us? 3 Jo 9,10

If only elders can restore sinners, why are the "incompetent sheep" allowed to study with,
    teach and guide sometimes grossly debauched sinners from the world into the organization?
    Are only the elders able to "save his soul from death and cover a multitude of sins,** by "turn-
    ing a sinner back from the error of his way"? Js 5:20 Why do the scriptures tell us ALL to
    admonish one another? Ro 15:14; Col 3:16; I Thes 5:14

Where does the Bible say that disfellowshipped ones should be spiritually disfellowshipped
    in addition to being socially disfellowshipped? Does our knowledge of God allow us to ever
    stop from attending to help ailing ones? Why did Paul tell us to admonish such ones as
    "brothers"? 2Thes 3:14,15 Why did Paul state that It was the OVERLY SEVERE TREATMENT OF AILING
    ONES, DISFELLOWSHIPPED ONES, that was a design of Satan? 2Co 2:11 Jesus ate with harlots and
    tax collectors and even said that these would go ahead of the self-righteous presumptuous
    hypocritical leaders of God's organization into the Kingdom? Mr 2:16,17; Mat 21:31 If Jesus
    would associate with such ones, admittedly not for social reasons, but to spiritually instruct
    them, why do we treat wayward sick ones differently? It is true that those who have committed
    the unforgivable sin are beyond forgiveness, but are we in a position to read hearts and
    determine who has committed this sin and then cut brothers off assuming Jehovah's mercy has
    run out for them? Heb 10:26; I Jo 5:16 Should Christian emphasis be on judging, cutting
    brothers off, "keeping the congregation clean" (a phrase not found in the Bible), or on mercy,
    humility and love? Mat 9:12,13;12:7; Jo 13:35 If Jesus' sacrifice was for us while we were
    yet sinners, and Jehovah continued to approach his wayward, idolatrous, "disfellowshlpped"
    nation of Israel, who are we to eschew and condemn by our actions those related to us in the
    faith? Ga 6:10; Jer 3:12,13,22; Ez 18:23,30-32; WT 8-l-74:461

Is it our position to Judge, or Jehovah's? See Lk 6:33-37; Ro 5:6;8-10; Heb 10:30;
    Js 4:11,12; 2Pe 3:9 Is it consistent with mercy, or even with logic, for us to treat those
    who are most ill— which hard-core sinners are — the harshest? Is it sound medicine to with-
    draw treatment when the patient becomes desperately ill? Who of us are without sin? Who of
    us could stand If Jehovah did not extend repeated mercy? Who are we to do less to fellow
    sinners? Mtt 7:1-5

If we must be at peace with our brother before our worship is acceptable, but we have
    condemned by our actions and even words those who are spiritually ailing — and for those in the
    congregation. Judgment has been made without knowledge of whether justice has been accomplished —
    how do we stand with our God? How do we stand if we acquiesce to a system that may be un-
    scriptural, unmerciful and tolerates injustice? Mat 5:23,24; Lk 6:27,28,32,33; Ro 13:10

Why is there no system of discipline for "committees" or the "Society" if they have
    acted wrongly?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Looks interesting, thanks!!! As always very appreciated.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I've read about the Malawi situation.

Whatever happend to these brothers/sisters that questioned the society in such a manner & did the society respond - it would be interesting to see what the response is if the did.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Very very good points made here!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I know one of the writers had been a Presiding Overseer in Michigan and he voluntarily disassociated from the Organization soon after the letter was circulated. I don't know about the other contributors to the letter, but I would imagine that many of them are no longer JWs. As far as I know, there was no official response to the letter by the Watchtower Society.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

THANK YOU FOR THIS. Oh, if only I had seen this in 1976. Better late than never, I guess. Thanks again - very much appreciated!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow.

This is difficult to to describe to those who were not there to hear the weekly platform updates giving graphic descriptions of how "our Brothers and Sisters" in Malawi were being tortured. Yes, graphic descriptions.

To realize years later that it was just an off-hand decision... a vote at a table in Brooklyn...

I wonder if there have ever been any repercussions by Malawi persecution survivors who later left the organization?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This is an amazing document, of people who looked around and trusted their senses of what they saw instead of carefully contrived babblespeak.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this. Makes me want to read the Bible again. Only a different translation this time.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks for the feedback! I think I've found some commentary about these sort of intellectual responses by JWs in that era in Penton's Apocalypse Delayed. I hope the link works from Google Books. Towards the bottom of page 106:

http://books.google.com/books?id=38SYXalMLeQC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq

I'm pretty sure Wysong was one of the people involved with this letter. And, from what Penton says, Christiansen had been an influence too.

I remember back in the 70s there were several JWs who were more intellectual about the faith. I get the feeling there aren't too many of them left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit