How do you prevent a daughter from marrying a jerk?

by Inkie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Inkie
    Inkie

A relative of mine has a daughter (raised in the organization) who has decided not to be a witness. This relative of mine is also on his way out of the organization. Anyway, this daughter met a man at work twice her age (she is 21) who is a total and absolute jerk--verbally abusive, controlling, selfish, angry all of the time, etc., you name a bad quality, this guy's got it. She fell in "love" with him at work. She moved out of her father's house two and one-half years ago to live with him. My relative was devasted. This couple fights frequently. She finally left him a week ago last Wednesday. He angrily told her to go. She left and went home to her father's house and was welcomed home. Over the weekend this guy wants her back and a ploy to get her back is, he proposes marriage to her. She accepts. Dumb. Can one prevent this marriage? How does one do that? What will open her eyes to the true character of this low-life? We are at our wits end to try to help. Any suggestions.

Inkie

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Maybe she thinks marriage will change him. She'll learn. It might be a painful learning process, but she'll learn. Sometimes you have to let people make mistakes.

• chickpea
    chickpea

god almighty, when you get the answer
    to that little mystery of life, let me know!!!

my 21 YO daughter is enamored of a guy who
    i cannot bear to consider being a SIL.....
    a total narcissistic anal pucker....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Click, click, boom.

Lord, may I only have sons, this filthy world is no place for daughters.

BTS

• restrangled
    restrangled

Let me let you in on a little trick.....You fight your daughter on this he will be her beloved...on the other hand...........

Bring this boy into your life, dinners, every family situation, etc.....treat him like a prince in your family......Suddenly he is not so special, suddenly he is an irritating piece of crap in your daughter eyes.

Believe me.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Anyway, this daughter met a man at work twice her age (she is 21) who is a total and absolute jerk--verbally abusive, controlling, selfish, angry all of the time, etc., you name a bad quality, this guy's got it.

Twice her age and still immature? What a loser. I doubt he will ever change. No fool like an old fool.

BTS

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Why are women so attracted to the bad boys types? My wife was married to one and it wasn't worth the trouble I can tell you that.

That sort of attraction is beyond me.

Yiz

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

A man is not a real man unless he is a good husband and father. This fool of an idiot sounds like neither. I hope the young woman in your family comes to her senses. I don't have such a big problem that they are so far apart in age, if he is able to care for her well in every sense, but the fact that he is so immature and unable to earn her respect makes me think very poorly of him. And to be honest, if she is not mature enough to be with him, he should sure know at his age. My sister had a bad marriage, and the man beat her while she was pregnant. Happily, her current husband appears to be an excellent person, and he is rapidly growing on me.

BTS

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I think restrangled is right... it seems the more you fight a daughter on this, the more she is drawn to the jerk and the more she pulls away from you.

Lord, may I only have sons ...

+1

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

"A man is not a real man unless he is a good husband and father."

BTS,

That's a powerful statement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit