How Do People in Seattle, Washington Deal with it?

by YoursChelbie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

It's been raining in North Texas on and off for the last 12 hours.

The thunder and lightning woke me up and I looked outside: it was so dark out my window.

It's cloudy outside and it's thundering still.

Usually at 7:00 am I see the bright sunny skies and birds chirping but not today.

It looks like it will be this way all day: gloomy and dark.

How do you deal with the constant rain day after day?

Don't you guys get a lot of this kind of weather in Seattle? That's what I've heard.

YC

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

here in NY its been raining 24 out of the last 30 days...... getting tired of it

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

WOW, 24 days of rain in a month, that's a lot.

The one good thing is now I don't have to run my car by the car wash.

YC

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Here too. At breakfast this morning I commented to my wife that I looked just like Seattle.

We chose to stay here rather than move to the Seattle area in the mid 90's due to the constant rain. We were 'invited' to serve where the need was great there. I can take the rain, but Wifey cannot. So we stayed here instead. Maybe a good thing - who knows if we would have figured out the 'truth about the troof' under changed circumstances.

We haven't had more than a few dry days since the start of May here. Wow, does the foilage ever grow. I recall speaking with a Jw in the Olympia area during our 'exploratory' trip to the area about the rain. He said that it was hard to ever get the grass mowed due to the rain, but that everyone had to have a small chain saw to keep the brush and trees from taking away the long driveways on Puget Sound.

I met a Jw there who put on steel roofs for a living there - in the rain most of the year. At that time they were still using 120v power tools to do the work - he said it was not for the weak of heart. BTW - this guy looked just like John Goodman.

Namaste

Jeff

• Quandry
    Quandry

Here in Houston, there is a great need for rain. Dry, dry, dry, and hot, hot, hot.....every day. Grass is withering, and all flowers must be watered daily. I'd love to have your problem.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Seattle's not THAT bad... I think it's just a myth. Here are the 10 rainiest cities in the US, and Seattle isn't on the list:

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070518_rainy_cities.html

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We actually spent our time in Olympia Washington - just south of Seattle at the base of Puget Sound. Everyone we talked to said that it rains pretty much straight from September to July 4th. We were there in June for about 10 days - we only found out on the day before we left that Mt Rainier stood above the city like a sentinal [it was huge and overpowering - but we only got a 10 minute glimpse of it in 10 days - it rained every other day.]

They say it is beautiful during the 'dry season', but that only lasts about 3 months. That was from the locals. All the time we were there we were looking through gloom and rain.

Jeff

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I'm in Seattle now, and we coujld use a little of the famed rain:)

Honestly, I love it here! It is known for being an outdoorspersons paradise. It is gorgeous, we have mountains, ocean and kind of a desert, rain forests, lakes, rivers.

This morning the birds are singing and the sky is blue. Rain? HUH?

Our summers are the best in the country. Perfect-rarely muggy or too hot to breathe or move. (I have lived in Dallas and the east coast)So we ge t a little rain. It always stops! Winters may be a little grey, but the winters are usually mild. Our weather is hardly ever fatal. No hurricanes. No tornados.

And, when its rainy, we start mulimillion dollar businesses for people stuck indoors in the rain. Little endeavors like Microsoft, Starbucks and Amazon.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Seattle rain is almost always more of a mist than a downpour. The lack of sun is why I fled that area back in 86 after only a few months.....

• beksbks
    beksbks
    The lack of sun is why I fled that area back in 86

That's what drives me nuts about the Pacific Northwest in general. You can never depend on a sunny day even in summer. I went for a trip up there way back in the day, and thought I would like to move up there. I started watching the weather faithfully. Decided I couldn't take it. The next thing I know, 3/4 of my family moves up there. Having visited numerous times now, I am sure I would not be happy with the weather.

It seems summer is coming very slowly this year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit