Calling off Your Wedding Engagement

by shamus100 12 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

FHN....Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing ?

As for the Watchtower quotes that Blondie put up, What are they really saying?

The 1975 one is pretty strict that you need a good reason, although anybody in that situation would surely find one, even if "compatibility" was used. But the one from 1999 could be taken any way you like. It refers back to the '75 WT but also waffles and comes to no clear ruling . I guess individual bodies will do what they want to do.

I do not recall any cases of a serious engagement being broken.

• VIII
    VIII

The big question:

Why is this any business of the WTS? Or the Elders? Or anyone in the Cong?

Since we are not living in "Jesus time..." who the f cares what would happen 2000 years ago when the bride might have leprosy?

When a brain dead dub writes to a Dr. Phil wannabe in Brooklyn for something as fundamental as "How seriously should I view my engagement" you know that they are totally under the control of that cult.

Who cares what a group of fat, old, white guys in Brooklyn say?

Does your pending marriage feel right? Are you in love? Are you happy?

These types of questions are just soooo annoying.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I remember calling off and engagement, I was terrified thinking I would be disfellowshiped since engagement

was such a serious thing. But he just was not the right person for me, and I could only see problems down the road.

The elders did approach me but to my surprise they said they were glad I called it off. Marriage is a big step and commitment just to follow through

because you think it is the right thing to do is so wrong. Your talking about your life, your happiness and your future for a long long time.

Better to be sure than sorry!

h4o

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit