Do most scientists accept evolution?

by Escargot 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Escargot
    Escargot

"""Response: No, they don’’t. The only related survey of scientists I am aware of was of chemists. A slight majority rejected evolution. (See the last paragraph ) Almost all professors in the basic sciences favor evolution, in part, because that is what they were taught and those who openly reject evolution are not hired or are fired. In the applied sciences (medicine, engineering, etc.) and among scientists in industry, those accepting and rejecting evolution may be nearly balanced. (Gallup polls have shown that more Americans reject evolution than accept it.)
    Of course, scientific conclusions are based on evidence, not a vote. The founders of modern science (Kepler, Bacon, Pascal, Boyle, Galileo, Hooke, and Newton——who, by the way, were creationists and opposed the evolutionary views of their day) based decisions on evidence. In contrast, science of previous ages was based on philosophical deductions or authoritative opinions. Those who try to establish scientific truth by ““counting noses”” regress into dark-age thinking. By that criterion, you would believe in a flat earth, because once most scientists believed in a flat earth.
    1 . Many organizations have surveyed public attitudes on the teaching of origins. Results are remarkably consistent, regardless of whether creationist, evolutionist, or another organization conducted the survey. Typically, responses are as follows:
    5% I would like only evolution taught.
    15% I would like only creation taught.
    70% I would like both creation and evolution taught.
    10% No opinion, or teach neither.
    2 . Five Gallup polls have shown the beliefs in the United States concerning origins. People were given four choices:
    The Creation Position: God created man in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.
    The Theistic Evolution Position: Man has developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process, including man’’s creation.
    The Atheistic Evolution Position: Man has developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life. No God participated in this process.
    No Opinion

Table 23 . Gallup Poll Results

Creation
    44%
    47%
    47%
    44%
    47%

Theistic Evolution
    38%
    40%
    35%
    39%
    40%

Atheistic Evolution
    9%
    9%
    11%
    10%
    9%

No Opinion
    9%
    4%
    7%
    7%
    4%

Sampling errors: +/-3%. Data taken from George Gallup, Jr., The Gallup Poll (Wilmington, Delaware: Scholarly Resources Inc.),1982, 1991, 1993, 1997, and 1999.

Notice how few people are atheistic evolutionists, and yet this position dominates the media and most schools. Surprisingly, despite a century of monopolistic teaching of evolution, so many are creationists.
    Some incorrectly claim that almost all scientists believe in evolution. The only survey of scientists of which I am aware, involved chemists. Less than half (48.3%) said that ““it was possible that humans evolved in a continuous chain of development from simple elements in a primordial soup.”” A slight majority (51.7%) said that ““supernatural intervention played a role.”” [Murray Saffran, ““Why Scientists Shouldn’’t Cast Stones,”” The Scientist, 5 September 1988, p. 11.]"""""""

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

Hi Escargot,

well you've convinced me to ignore the megafauna ancestors of my friendly neighbourhood wombats .. i guess Noah chose small ones for his boat ride. (God knows how they got from Ararat back to Southern Australia though)

Just one question if you please. Any of these surveys American?

unclebruce who only trusts Australian and British scientists.

• Escargot
    Escargot

Greetings: Your points are well taken! I will post on this topic soon!

• JanH
    JanH

Of course the survey doesn't deal with scientists, they deal with the population at large. As such they only reflect on the poor educational level and the extreme religioosity of many Americans, and not upon science or scientists.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

***Your points are well taken! I will post on this topic soon!***

I bet ya will ya mad b.. oops .. yeah fine escargot, i look forward to it.

unclebruce

===

Sorry Jan, I sped read the frogfood.

• Escargot
    Escargot

JanH:

What is your comments on these scientists:

"""""The only survey of scientists of which I am aware, involved chemists. Less than half (48.3%) said that ““it was possible that humans evolved in a continuous chain of development from simple elements in a primordial soup.”” A slight majority (51.7%) said that ““supernatural intervention played a role.”” [Murray Saffran, ““Why Scientists Shouldn’’t Cast Stones,”” The Scientist, 5 September 1988, p. 11.]"""""""

• JanH
    JanH

Escargot,

The writing shows some dishonesty and attempts to hide inconvenient facts. Why not report what exactly those people replied?

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Escargot
    Escargot

Please show the proof of your claim that this is dishonest?

• JanH
    JanH

I asked a question, snail. What question did they answer, and how? The wording hides what they actually said, and hides who believes in both evolution and religious ideas, which certainly need not be contradictory.

- Jan
    --

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Escargot,

Your thinking on this matter is typical of creationists and most people who don't know how to distinguish propaganda from the real issues.

To start with, even if you were right in your statement (and below I show some quick research I did that suggests you are not) would that make something true or false just by the numbers alone? After all, take monogamy as an example. A lot of people believe in this as the right and natural way to have pair bonding but the fact is that more people practice polygamy. Does this mean you should too? Another example is at one time most people thought the universe revolved around the earth. If you were living back then would you insist on the same thing because of majority views?

Now lets take a look at your statements you made to see how they add up on top of all this.

A poll published in the February 1988 issue of the professional magazine, Industrial Chemist, tells us:

"According to the poll of professional scientists, over one-fifth—20.6 percent—completely reject evolution. Less than half of the scientists—48.3 percent—believe that it is even possible for man to have evolved from lower forms without supernatural intervention.
    . http://www.pathlights.com/ce_encyclopedia/22sch02.htm#Scientists

My comments: you need to get new batteries in your calculator.

Another source shows that some of the largest and most established religions have favorable views on evolution:

Fifteen major religious organizations have published statements in a book called "Voices For Evolution" that have favorable views of evolution and its use in education. Some of these organizations are the American Jewish Congress, the Roman Catholic Church, the United Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church.
    . http://www.lds-mormon.com/evolutn1.shtml

Finally check out this website that really shoots down your theory that scientists who believe in evolution are in the minority.

. http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/evolutionviews990816.html

It quotes this for how many scientists believe in evolution:

Among scientists, only 5 percent hold the literal Bible view, 40 percent believe in theistic evolution and a majority, 55 percent, believe in evolution without help from God.
    It also shows that only 23.3% of the people taking their ABC poll believed in creationism.

Actually I think more people believe in creationism in this country because the educational system has failed to really do its job and also due to the fact that creationists are effective at using propaganda techniques to try to deceive others.

My only point in showing you that your premise was wrong is to point out the propaganda you used. If you want to discuss facts that prove creationism bring them on, but I will always call you on propaganda.

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit