The recession, has it affected you?

by mindmelda 10 Replies latest jw friends

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

It's affected my family a lot because my husband is in construction. He's doing commercial work now for a company after losing his own small business.

It's also the reason we moved 1600 miles to Texas.

I see real problems ahead for the USA, the lack of employment is a huge factor that has yet to be addressed and unemployment is more severe than anticipated by the government.

So, what are your brilliant solutions for the recession? If you could sit down with the president and his staff and tell them what you think, what would you say?

Even though I like Obama as a person, I think some of his plans are too high minded. And the bailout that started under Bush? Ridiculous! So many better things we could have done with that money and what money the banks took should have been strictly stipulated as to use.

You can't just give institutions money like that! People are too greedy and self-interested. Don't we have enough proof of that? It was a desperate, hasty and ill thought out measure that has proven it's inefficiency already.

My two main thoughts: We need to improve the state of health care for the sake of the economy. It's one of the largest drains on the economy in the US. Over 60% of bankruptcies are caused by the inability to pay for health care. Medicare is already in the red. Health care costs need to come down and be made affordable. I'm sure that will take significant restructuring of insurance companies, and the health care system itself. I'm not threatened by the thought of competitive affordable government run health care made available to those who need it. It's not ideal, but it works better than our system is working in most other countries and has served to keep a cap on health care costs. It will no doubt have it's problems too, but I think it will help solve some our of the most urgent health care related problems.

My other thought: We need a program like some of the post WWII programs to get easier and less expensive access to higher and technical education so more people can get better jobs. Not only for their own sakes, but many of the future jobs available and all of the new tech jobs will simply require training to be filled, so for the sakes of employers, also. Already, there are areas where even in this almost double digit unemployment, employers are having a hard time finding people to fill some jobs that require an aptitude for math, science and high tech. Also, higher level teaching and nursing, two very vital jobs, are under-filled and underpaid jobs in America.

Utilizing our work force better would go a long ways towards better employment rates. The more people working, the more taxes paid, the sooner we pay ourselves out of this crushing debt we're going to be under the rest of our lives and pass on to our children...and possibly their children too.

How to pay for this: Cut the pork! Focus on programs that have proven measures of success in both defense and social services, cut the rest of this nonsense out. And quit sacrificing the needs of the people and the country over political partisanship and pettiness.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Yes it has. I work in the advertising field and clients have cut down on the advertising budgets greatly, many opting NOT to advertise. This in turn affects my commission - it's down about 40-50%. I'm having to be more frugal.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It has affected me indirectly. I have bought some real good items, that I expect to last a good long time so I will not be replacing things when inflation kicks in. Better to spend good money on premium stuff now than to waste more money, probably even more, replacing crap items when the prices go up ten times.

And, I think of the waste when people put money into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. I have sharply cut back on outright waste in my spending (and I have not been hurt that much yet) just because it is not as cool to waste money now than it was a few years back. Yet, every single one of the MLMs I quit were less of a waste than protecting pedophiles and silencing the victims.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I'm proud to say that I rarely contributed much to the WTS. LOL I put my kids first, sorry!

I was a terrible Witness...I never went out in service much, never went to all the meetings and always studied the Bible independently, without the "blessing" of WTS literature. I went to the library and read books I knew were forbidden by the WTS too.

I'm so glad I sucked as a Witness now, but at the time, I felt terribly guilty about all that. I just knew God hated me and I was going to die for being so bad. It's taken me forever to realize that God doesn't hate me.

But, I never gave them much money. One less thing to regret, now. *G* Nope they only got my soul for a while.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The recession, has it affected you?

Yes. I got laid off last December and was down and out for a couple of months, pretty depressing, not so much because of money but because of inactivity, but I am back on my feet and doing better than ever. However, there is a lot of misery going around, and once those severance packages start to run out in the second half of the year, it is going to get worse. We were promised that the stimulus crappage congress passed was going to cap unemployment in the 8 percent range.

Yeah right. This was about keeping politicians employed.

BTS

• Priest73
    Priest73
    Yes. I got laid off last December and was down and out for a couple of months, pretty depressing, not so much because of money but because of inactivity, but I am back on my feet and doing better than ever.

you get your freak on in Hawaii?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Oh hell yeah.

BTS

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

BTS, the mental and emotional toll of the recession (or mini-depression as I like to call it) has to be taken into account too. There are people out there wondering if they're going to keep their jobs, people wondering if they can find another job, and people wondering what they'll do when their unemployment runs out.

And now, people wondering if they will ever see prosperity again in their lifetime as we pay off this debt and how much will our children inherit. We've left nothing for the next generation except debt. Shame on the gov't for that!

Well, sure, the politicians have to protect their phoney baloney jobs, don't you know! Seems to me there were a some people who got rich at the expense of a lot of ordinary people, and it's all coming back to bite them in the ass.

Karma, such a bitch! But, for all of us, as we ordinary folks got taken down with the fat cats, of course. That''s the hell of it, it's all interconnected.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTS, the mental and emotional toll of the recession (or mini-depression as I like to call it) has to be taken into account too. There are people out there wondering if they're going to keep their jobs, people wondering if they can find another job, and people wondering what they'll do when their unemployment runs out.

You aren't kidding. My sister lost her house (and with 8 kids between her and her husband, one is a newborn), my inlaws lost their house, my parents nearly lost theirs but look like they might survive. My brother got let go and had to move into my place 2 weeks ago. I may have to make room for more family to ride the storm out. Times are really bad. I've just been lucky.

BTS

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

You're great to take in your family, but that's what's going on all over. We also lost our house in the recession and rents where we live now are going down, but I'm locked into one that is too high, I think. I'm going to try to find a cheaper place or negotiate it down with my landlord, as rents are steadily going down even here in some areas of Houston. The house we're renting sat empty for 6 months before we rented it, after the rent was lowered. I suspect that it would sit unrented again if we left, (it still needs minor repairs from Hurricane IKE, for one thing) and that might get me a slightly lower rent. We'll see.

Groceries are cheaper, housing, goods...everything but gas is cheaper. That's why I tend to call this a "mini-depression". The American dollar is quite devalued, which ironically has contributed to the rise in the cost of oil. It's one commodity that keeps and gains value, apparently, when all else is losing.

Getting people back to work is the key, I think. That was the single one thing that the gov't did during the Great Depression that genuinely worked in the long term, creating work programs and education opporunities. Everyone was too quick to judgment thinking this wasn't going to be slow painful recovery. We won't be seeing the bottom of it for some time, no doubt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit