I was an atheist before I became one of JW's, now I'm an agnostic...

by gubberningbody 11 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    The usage of the term suggests that the person has taken up an unassailable position, and that he or she is not open to discussion.

Perhaps some are this way, but certainly not all atheists. I know in my case I am open to discussion. I will hear what others feel are evidence for their deity. Also my position is open to change if objective evidence is presented.

What then follows is an affirmation of your suspicions as to the rigid mindset, with a flippant, emotional snarl "Why should I have to prove X? The default position is X."

I understand what you're saying here. It is certainly the case that some atheists or theists are "touchy" and may "snarl" when confronted about their beliefs. But the response is not unreasonable. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." The default position should be disbelief until objective evidence is presented. This approach in itself does not make someone closed-minded.

But yes, we can find intellectually lazy people on any side of an issue.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I call those atheist analogs to extreme fundamentalism in attitude "I'm right and go to hell, I don't have to explain my belief/disbelief to YOU, because it's obvious." types "hard ass atheists" as opposed to "soft or disinterested atheists".

It's not a matter of rationality to believe or disbelieve since even very rational types do believe in God, it's just that their concept is usually more rational. I can't stand the "I'm an atheist because it's the more intelligent choice" argument.

Scientists and philosophers and other really well educated thinky people that can think circles around you and I have been believers in God or something higher. Atheism not in and of itself proof that you have higher intellect. It may be proof that you think you do, though.

Being spiritual also doesn't mean that you have to believe that the Flintstones is a science documentary or stand around with "God hate fags" signs making an ass of yourself or shooting abortion doctors either.

I try not to label all atheists by the hard ass inflexible sort, and I hope they would do believers the same courtesy and realize that not all of use are Jerry Falwell blaming 9/11 on gay marriage, lack of prayer in school and women trying to get equal pay for the same job.

Other than that, I don't care what people believe in as long as they aren't jerks. Jerks come in all flavors, religious and non religious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit