Does anyone remember the singer/songwriter Lori Lieberman? "Killing me softly with his song"

by coffee_black 9 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Was feeling a bit nostalgic this morning. Thought of an old College classmate of mine, Lori Lieberman, who wrote the lyrics for "Killing me softly with his song". It was recorded by Roberta Flack.... Anyway... thought I'd share... This is Lori singing that song...which also appeared on her own album.

Her website is here:

http://www.lorilieberman.com/bio.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHg1VktkNU

Coffee

• Robdar
    Robdar

Interesting. I always thought Roberta Flack wrote the song. Supposedly for Don McLean. Did a quick search and came up with this on wikipedia:

"Killing Me Softly with His Song" is a 1971 song composed by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel. It was inspired by Lori Lieberman's response to having seen a performance by Don McLean. [ 1 ]

Singer/songwriter Lori Lieberman saw Don McLean singing his composition "Empty Chairs" in concert. Afterwards, Lieberman wrote a poem titled "Killing Me Softly with His Blues", which became the basis for the song written by Norman Gimbel and Charles Fox.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Robdar,

Her website says pretty much the same thing... Lori was about 19 or 20 at the time... Maybe I misunderstood, but I always thought she wrote the actual lyrics... She has had a pretty successful career in songwriting ever since then...

Coffee

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

So Lori wrote a poem called "Killing me softly with his blues" and then all of a sudden he writes a song called "Killing me softly with his song"?

That sucks..poor girl.

Snoozy, who hopes that lesson taught Lori a few things..

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

I have always loved that song. Roberta Flack's version of it gives me goosebumps.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Snoozy Actually...Lori spun that into a career. I think it opened doors for her... I like her voice too...

Coffee

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Funny how I've always loved this song while at the same time feeling the same way about Don McLean, yet never realizing how the two were linked.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I have the album, vinyl, remember where and when I bought it... Stopped while in service to go to a record shop in the shore. Our group were Lori Lieberman fans. And Laura Nyro. I'm wondering if she performed around here.

Anyway, lovely memory, lovely voice. And I remember another song that starts out about a ship out in the harbor.

• dingo1
    dingo1

this version is a cover, right? didnt the chick who wrote it die somehow? anyways, great song. i especially liked the fugee version with weicliff. the ladies always recognize the opening chords when i start playing.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Dingo...not a cover... real story. Lori is still performing. I just became her friend on facebook. She's performing in NY in July. link below:

http://www.citywinery.com/events/22758

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit