Whale Wars? Piracy or not?

by Brocephus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Why cant we harpoon Japanese whalers?

Cause they taste bad? Now japanese women on the other hand...

• Gregor
    Gregor

Arrogant demigods who have decided they know best. Sea Shepards indeed, just another Greenpeace franchise. Why don't they go sabotage slaughterhouses? Or go into deer hunting areas and beat on pots and pans?

• parakeet
    parakeet

Why don't we ask the whales what they think? They have more at stake than anybody else regarding this issue.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout
    parakeet: Why don't we ask the whales what they think? They have more at stake than anybody else regarding this issue.

We did... the whale consensus was "squeak, murmur, splash."

Witnes007: it's a good cause....stopping the extiction of a helpless species

Does this legal whaling actually threaten extinction for the species?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

One of the funniest posts, ever!

Personally, if the ship being attacked has a legal right to be doing what it is doing, then yes I think it's piracy. How I feel about whaling is beside the point.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Then maybe we need to learn to speak whale-ese. Cause I'm guessing the whales don't much like being harpooned out ovf existence.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

The Minke whales are not endagered the Fins are considered endangered. Here is some more background. It honestly looks like both sides could be right legally. Someone needs to settle this before a human not a whale is seriously injured. In the meantime it's some great TV.

LEOLAIA- What is your personal reason? It's kind of a waste of a post not to say. You are too polite, this is a message board it's full of obnoxious personal opnions. LOL

From wikipedia (so it has to be true) but it does appear accurate:

Establishment of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary was agreed upon by the IWC in 1994 with 23 countries supporting the agreement and only Japan opposing it.

The status of the Southern Ocean Sanctuary is reviewed and open to change by the IWC every 10 years. [ 1 ] During the 2004 meeting a proposal was made by Japan to remove the sanctuary, but it failed to reach the 75% majority required (it received 25 votes in favour and 30 votes against with two abstentions).

As sanctuaries only apply to commercial whaling, Japan has continued to hunt whales inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary because its whaling is done in accordance with a provision in the IWC charter permitting whaling for the purposes of scientific research (Japan also lodged a formal objection to the sanctuary with regard to minke whales, meaning that, in accordance with IWC rules, the terms of the sanctuary do not apply to Japan with respect to minkes). [ 2 ] The catch of the 2005 season (Dec 05-Mar 06) inside the sanctuary included 856 minke whales and ten of the endangered Fin whale. In 2007 - 2008 Japan planned to take 935 minke whales and 50 fin whales.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

I'm pretty doubtful that 800-900 whales are being taken legitimately for "research"... think the whalers are being rather slimy and using a loophole to continue their morally dubious business to the extent legally possible.

That said...

Then maybe we need to learn to speak whale-ese. Cause I'm guessing the whales don't much like being harpooned out ovf existence.

There's a couple problems there... first, you don't have evidence to suggest that legal whaling is threatening these species with extinction, and second, you don't have evidence that the whales are both aware of this and against it.

As much as I think we have a moral obligation to treat animals, and all of nature, with a measure of respect, I can't help but think that the scumbag terrorist hypocrites committing violence against the whalers only do so because it's a relatively acceptable and approved thing to do in our society. If they were to harass and attack duck hunters here in the U.S., the backlash to vigilante glory ratio would be insufficient for their egos. They only do what they do (incompetently) because they have a fawning fanbase cheering them on every step of the way.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    this is a message board it's full of obnoxious personal opnions.

Brocephus.....I was emoting, not expressing an opinion. When I wrote that message, I had good reason to feel that way. I wish I could be more explicit, but I'd rather not explain further.

• Pig
    Pig

who cares what it would be technically called.

Technically Rosa Parks was a dirty criminal with no regard for the law. What she did was wrong. She thought she was above the law.

The law isnt meant to be moral, it's just what best serves capitalisim.

All these people go round saying,, ohhhhh THE LAW™ .... ohhh breaking THE LAW™ as if the law is the be all and end all.

So if a big business was legaly poisoning the river which was causing birth defects in the community , and all legal possibilities have been attempted to stop them , people who worship the law would say it's immoral to stop the poisoning by any other method other than the law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit