The FIVE questions that elders consider whether to form a judicial committee for an inactive person

by BonaFide 19 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

This is according to the Pay Attention to the Flock Book. I can't remember the page. I handled this situation a number of times but I may have missed a detail, these are the basics I am pretty sure. You can find that book on the Internet and look up the exact questions.

If there is an inactive person in the territory, and the elders come to know that person has perhaps committed a grave sin, or is known to be gravely sinning, the body of elders present at the KH that week meet together. The elders do not form a judicial committee automatically.These are the questions the body of elders review together:

Is this person known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in the area?

Does this person identify himself as one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Does this person attend meetings or assemblies?

Does this person have regular contact with Witnesses, either in his neighborhood or through his employment?

Is the person willing to meet with a judicial committee and accept the counsel and discipline given there?

I think those are the five questions. Seems there was also a comment on that page about the persons sin being known as well in the congregation.

Anyway, in my experience, some elders really push for a judicial committee, and others don't. Sometimes its all about the scandal. If a brother or sister is known to be living with a member of the opposite sex not their family, and a lot of Witnesses know it, then most often a committee is formed. But if very few Witnesses know the person, a committee is not formed. I remember once one of the elders came across an inactive brother in service, living with his girlfriend. He had been inactive for years, and had come from another congregation. He was nice, the elder said. Since I was the C.O., I sent two elders back to his house to see if he considered himself a Witness, and would he meet with a committee. He said he hasn't considered himself a Witness for a long time, and no, he didn't want to "come back." We didn't form a committee, no one in the congregation knew him. I told the brothers that if the congregation starts to find out about him, then in the future they may have to form a committee.

I always used to say keep the congregation without reproach, so if a known "sinner" is not dealt with, Jehovah could remove his Holy Spirit.

Wow what a self-righteous idiot I was. Hope I am better now.

You might have had a different experience, comments welcome of course. Elders bodies of course make all kinds of decisions NOT based on the Flock book, so anything can happen.

The reason I put this topic on here is so that those who are inactive or wonder why some inactive are disfellowshipped and others aren't, well those are the questions the elders consider.

BF

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Does this person have regular contact with Witnesses, either in his neighborhood or through his employment?

What would happen in the case of family? That's pretty much the only association I have with jws, aside from one couple who still maintain a friendship with Gladring and I.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

If no one in your family turns you in to the elders, you might be safe from a Judicial Committee. But if somehow word gets to them, they might ask your family how much contact you have with them. They then might form a committee. It's hard to say sometimes what they will do. Some elders are lazy, some are not, some interpret the questions a certain way.

Hope that helps.

BF

• middleman
    middleman

btt...

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Sadly we do have one over-"zealous" elder in our cong but we also have family in the BOE so maybe we'll get away with it.

If not, I ain't goin' down without a fight!

• awildflower
    awildflower

This is interesting because I was wondering why nobody has come around here. I am definitely considered inactive (I think, haven't been back since January) but I was thinking 'this is to easy'. Everyone just let me go. I'm still friends with a couple of JW's from the hall but I don't talk to them about all of this stuff and they still come around our family because they like us. It's funny, they don't try to get me back either? I'm not sure what's going on in my case. How would elders react to the unbelieving mate telling them to stay away from his family? That's what my husband did, told them flat out to stay away. Are they actually honoring that in my case? My kids aren't baptized only me. And because I and my family were so well liked in the hall, could that be a reason the brothers are leaving me alone? I'm puzzled because on one side I hear all of these horror stories about leaving and in my case it's been really easy. It proves inconcistencies in the org at the very least. Can you answer any of these questions for me? Thanks.......wf

• Amazing
    Amazing

BonaFide,

Anyway, in my experience, some elders really push for a judicial committee, and others don't.

Yes, and in recent years, there has been a greater tendency to push for a JC. I watched the change over the years from the 1960s onward. But, after Ray Franz published his book, Crisis of Conscience, in 1983, the trend to fear and fight 'apostasy' increased dramatically ... and this had a spill-over affect upon all other transgressions. So, depending on which CO came to town, we were either instructed to leave someone alone as in your example, or the next CO was urging us to go after the sinners and clean them out. I recall being on one JC where we DF'd someone by telephone for the eact offence you describe. And in one case, a sister was DF'd for simply being an unloving and difficult person, and many in the congregation were angry with her for some reason.

The problem with much of the organizational system is that COs and DOs are inconsistent in their advice and direction ... and this, among many other things, helped me see that something was very wrong with the JW religion. And, saddest of all, is that the Holy Spirit was never with the JWs in the first place.

• awildflower
    awildflower

amen amazing......that would be another great reason (maybe the biggest one) to end the arrangement of CO's and DO's!......wf

• chickpea
    chickpea

to spare the board a lengthy
    expositiory of just less than
    epic length>>>>

BF, you have a PM

• Amazing
    Amazing

Awwww ... Chickpea ... I like epic length material ... can you share a summary of what you sent to BF?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit