How Would You/Do You Help JWs Think About Possibly Getting Out?

by minimus 15 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If you sensed that a JW might be unhappy, how might you get think thinking???

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Listen to them and ask them questions. If they express somewhat doubt or shakiness on anything then I would ask them follow up questions.

• minimus
    minimus

Um, I'm pretty good at asking questions.

• Amazing
    Amazing

For about the last nine years, since I have been on line in discussion forums, I have received many email and PMs, a few every week, sometimes every day in short bursts, that have read my exit story, and seek advice on what to do next. I usually send them my article that discusses how I helped my family out of the Watchtower organization. It is hosted on Freeminds.org. I also suggest ideas to fit their specific situation.

Some simply want to discuss one or two concerns or doctrines, and how I reconciled these as an ex-JW. The most common questions are about the Trinity or attending a traditional Church. Some just need someone to listen as they work out their own thoughts. Some want to vent ... and for some strange reason, some will talk to me like I am a JW Elder or CO, and treat me as though I still agree with the organization ... it is as if they want to use me to burn the Watchtower in effigy. But, in the end, they calm down, and finally think through things. On a few ocassions, some folks are just mean and act like asses, and so I have to block them from emailing me.

I have slowed down a lot, not because I am tired, but simply because I have a life to live, and I need my time back. But, those that email me after reading my exit story, I still respond and provide some framework for them to get further help.

• minimus
    minimus

Amazing, what you're saying is that you'll be there for them.

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Minimus----Amazing, what you're saying is that you'll be there for them.

Thanks for saying that! We have been noting some changes over the phone when talking to our son lately. I've been trying to decide what to say to him without blowing our cover.I will be sharing with my husband tonight to just tell him we will always be here for him no conditions. It doesn't disclose we are no longer believers of the WT, but may leave him feeling safe enough to express his doubts.

BF

• minimus
    minimus

Safety is an issue for JWs. They really can't trust anyone. It's kinda scary out there.

• undercover
    undercover

This forum, and others like it, is one way to help people. Yes, even your silly questions can help, minny ole buddy.

When a JW starts to have doubts, it helps to have someone prompt him to question more, but even if there isn't anyone there in person, sooner or later they'll turn to doing their own research. And what's the easiest way to do research in this modern age of instant knowledge and communication? The Internet.

Once they get over the superstitious fear of demons in the computer, they may very well end up on a forum like this. Maybe not posting, but lurking. There may be some lurking now. (hello) By those of us who have gone before them to post our experiences and what we've learned, it can help them see that they are not alone in what they experience or feel or think.

Of those who post we have faders, DFd and DAd. We all have different paths to our freedom and no one way works best for everyone. Each person must pick his course and follow it. But our experiences can give them ideas of what to expect when they pick their path to freedom.

• minimus
    minimus

I think my little questions help more people than some might imagine.

• undercover
    undercover

Yep...I think you're right

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit