more money?

by rockmehardplace 7 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

Here is my observation - I was with a few other JWs this morning and one of them asked what we were each doing with our now "free" night since the book study change. Answers ranged from evening field service to family study. When we were discussing this, one brother mentioned that he has not saved any money on gas because he still drives past the KH to get home. Typically, he would leave work and go straight to the meeting and then home. Then it was mentioned that the arrangement was beneficial for the majority in the way of saving on gas money as they so put it. That got me thinking about money. I noticed in the WT study article this past Sunday that it talked about giving of your spiritual riches and touched on material riches as well. The KM for May also has a part about making use of publications and it talked about using older publications and not requesting more literature than needed. So, maybe not a question, but an observation and asking for your comments. Seems that there is a greater urgency on not only donating, but also helping the organization save on costs as well. We see the attempts to sell property, downsize operations, and so forth. But for a group of people that brag about no collection plates, it always seems there is a part at least weekly or every other week that something is hit on about donations and such. Or do I just imagine this?

• sspo
    sspo

You are right, they brag about no collection plates to the public but they constanly ask for money at meetings.

They also know that no matter how much literature the JW's place, very few will come in the organization,

so use the old publ. and stop ordering.

I also wonder how they've been affected by the downturn in the world economy, if the brothers, which they have never been very

generous, are being even cheaper now then ever before in not donating.

• cognac
    cognac

They are trying to save us money on gas prices - yet at the same time they are asking for more money... Doesn't make any sense...

• cognac
    cognac

I forgot to add: lol

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's a corporation. It makes sense as a corporation to implemet cost saving procedures, and I think as far as operations are concerned, the WBTS has done a good job with that. Excluding, of course, their MASSIVE printing wastes, especially in the last 25 years, IMHO. (I'm in accounting...what can I say.) Anyone with a brain could figure out a monthly journal and no mailing of 4 mags a month would be a tremendous savings, among many of the recent changes. They could have implemented those changes years ago, but I think the old guys at the top were reluctant

Aside from it's investments, it is not a income generating corporation. It has to rely on donations as their major source of income. I know the selling point in the past was not passing a collection plate. Seems like they have sort of left off that advertisement. But the "we don't care about money/we need your money" is doublespeak at its best.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I don't know how they could make it much more clear that they need ca$h. Well, other than just coming out and saying, "Give us all your money or Hojovah will destroy you forever." Almost a year ago, my own mother said, "They sure seem to ask for money more often and more obviously than they used to."

B the X

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not only do I not want to donate even a penny to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, but I want to prevent others from donating. And I see no problem with wasting as much of their money as possible by getting case quantities of littera-trash (and, of course, not donating anything for it), and then shredding it for use as mulch or gerbil bedding.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It is a non prophet organization, that just happens to want your money and life energy. The blatant beg for stocks and real estate in the color ads is way over the top, right up there with televangelists.

Pay! Or die!

Oh look, a giant WTWizard!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit