Is this true

by superman 2 Replies latest jw friends

• superman
    superman

I've been faded and moved out of the area where my records are kept (the old hall I last attended). The elders there don't bother calling me anymore and even if they did, I've moved so far away that they couldn't stop over for a visit anyway. Since I am in a new area now where no JW's even no that I exist, life is pretty good (I can live a normal life without having to look over my shoulder). I still keep in contact with a few old friends from my old hall, but they are still far enought away that they don't bother me either. However, I heard this and I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.

Do the elders every year look at the records and try to track down those who are inactive. And if they asked one of my old friends who stills attends that hall about my whereabouts, and they told them (the elders) where I live, they would automatically send my records to the hall in area where I live now and have them track me down for a follow up? Is that true that they will just forward your records without your knowledge?

• blondie
    blondie

All your questions depend on the personalities of the elders on that body. The ones in my area make little attempt to track down anyone; let alone even make "shepherding" calls. We live quite close to the KH and we did not have a call until 7 years after we stopped attending. No need to track us down, we are in the phone book.

Some BOEs might automatically send your cards to a congregation if it is in the same town/city and they know the elders in that congregration fairly well and they want to get you off their "books."

I do research for a living, and I can tell you that if you want to take the time and expense, you can find just about anyone. What you can rely on is the elders lack of interest if following up on anyone.

My husband (an ex-elder) said that they would just do enough of an attempt that they could tell the CO they "tried." They made what he called "drive-by" visits, driving up to the house, seeing no car or evidence of anyone home (while still in the moving car), announce, no one is home. And that is all they would do.

Love, Blondie

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

superman

What blondie says is true. It really depends on the local elders from your home congregation. Most elders won't take the time to follow up if you have moved out of the area. I had one call but it was just a "hello" call. If you don't make a scene they won't call you again.

I did ask one time if it nesecarry to disfellowship or mark someone if they are obvoyusily no longer a JW, but have been inactive for some time. The answer I received was "if they are not recognized by the congregation or the community as JW's its not nesecarry to follow up with them."

But if you are still keeping contact with old friends in the Hall (like you said above), atttending weddings, funerals or anything else your just asking for trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit