My Weak Agnostic Testimony

by besty 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty
    Belief in God = Organized Religion.

I did present an organized and a personal scenario.

However a bomb at the wrong place will end the idea of forever for the atheist but not for the deist.

Only if the deist was correct in the first instance to be a deist and if he has chosen the right deity and if that right deity is feeling generous on the day. Otherwise the atheist and the deist are both just roadkill. Of course 40 years into the future, a mere blowing up might just be a temporary set back whilst you upload your brain backup to a new substrate.

I don't doubt that on another thread we could have a good-going evolution-creation debate based on the Jefferson quote, suffice to say that both sides acknowledge a guiding hand - the devil is in the detail :-)

At face value Jefferson's quote could be viewed as an argument from personal incredulity - many things that astounded a man of his time are basic education to an 8 year old these days. The WTS haved based their Creationist views on such logic.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

dude, how do you manage to keep this lame thread going to four pages!

and it wasn't even substantial, a memetic TRICK.

dogz

• besty
    besty

hehehe - me and the trick was doing OK until you killed it lameboy

• besty
    besty

aef - the point i'm driving at is that assigning even a small part of our mental capacity to belief in an almighty force could (even subconsciously) affect the decisions we make and make us less accountable (to ourselves) for poor or wrong choices

• Satanus
    Satanus

713 views, how do you do it?

S

• besty
    besty

I know its sad isn't it

If I made a thread about 'Britains Got Talent' I would have had twice that many :-)

• mouthy
    mouthy

'Britains Got Talent' I Susan Boyle didnt win

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

I think with or without belief in God people assign to themselves responsibility however they want. You can blame God, Satan, your parents, your third grade teacher or the random events of a Godless universe. Almost everyone lives in a state of self-delusion of one one kind or another. Either religious, psychological, emotional ... they all have an effect on our personal sense of responsibility. Mouthy - you're awesome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit